PythaGURUS MBA Consulting: Fear of Failure and Interviews

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to write a very small note and I experienced this with many applicants during their Mock interview preparation. Most of the applicants I interviewed with were afraid of the real time interviews. They had a fear that made them nervous.

I am writing as many of you have started working on the stories for next year

This is my perspective on the interviews- Do you know that an interview is your opportunity to have a human interaction with someone- they are calling you as they liked your stories, and now want to see you face to face, understand your reasons for pursuing MBA and assess a mutual fit.

"¢ THAT HUMAN BEING HAS THE EXACT SAME LIFE AS YOURS- If he works at ISB, probably he wanted to go to Harvard, or work in the US or probably be an investment banker. We do not know anything about that guy. But he is a simple human being keen on interacting with you in his life time to know your interests. When you are well prepared and are authentic about your reasons for pursuing that program( You know your PAST + MBA = Short Term + Long Term Goals) - and you can logically connect the dots- he is going to like you.
THE BACKGROUND OF YOUR FEAR IS THAT YOU PUT SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT AT STAKE: IF YOU Fail in that interview, they are going to KILL YOU- this is how many applicants sound. I am not KIDDING. When you are so nervous as to make it impossible for you to utter a complete sentence, I always ask you " WHAT IS AT STAKE?"- If something is making you nervous, it has a FEAR OF LOSS at the back- I want you to assess the following questions

o What will happen if you do not GET INTO any school?
o What will happen if you lose your current job?
o What will happen if you do not have any bank savings?

Picture the above- and then see- what comes to your mind- See what solutions do you see- If you are an average human being- your mind will start doing amazing things to you and you will start coming up with new and creative ways of getting out of these situations.

When you start artificially inflating your losses, your mind goes numb. You don't even have an admit yet to fear the loss of it. They have not even said yes to you. In 50 years from now, when you are sitting with you grandchildren, this won't matter. Everyone who graduated from Harvard Business School in 1912 is MOST LIKELY DEAD. They got an admit, got the best of the internships, jobs, careers, and it is all over now. Life is too short to be afraid of taking newer initiatives or getting afraid of things that are not even going to hurt you. GO MAKE THE BEST OF IT. Relax before an interview- and remember- life is MUCH BIGGER than you are currently picturing in your mind. You can do anything. Seriously.

This was not much of an MBA email I am thinking �

Have an awesome conversation with the person in the interview room.

Regards,
Jatin
Regards,

PythaGURUS Education

MBA Admissions Consulting

www.pythagurus.com