Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

Profile Evaluation

by pradeepsarathy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:49 pm
Hi Lisa,

I gave my GMAT last month and got a score of 660( Q:48 V: 33) AWA 5.0.

Below is my profile -

Xth - 82.3 %
XIIth - 92.3 %
Bachelors of Engineering(Computer Science) - 81.2%
Work Experience - 5 Years (3 Years with IT Unit of Bank of NewYork Mellon) and currently an IT Consulting Firm in US for the past 2 years.

Also have exhibited leadership skills in both work and college.

Kindly advice as to what universities can i target.I intend to specialize in Consulting.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:07 pm
Dear pradeepsarathy,

Generally speaking, you want to target schools that make sense for your career goals. This means the curriculum has relevant coursework and the school has industry connections. After that, a good rule of thumb is to target schools where your GMAT is within/above the mid-50% range for the school. These will be the schools where you are competitive.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by pradeepsarathy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:51 am
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the guidance.I ve selected following schools and i intend to apply in R2.
Kindly let me know whether my profile will be competetive in these schools or whether i should include some other schools as well.

As i had expressed earlier, i intend to specialize in Consulting and IT Management.

Universities -

UT-Austin - McCombs (Avg 690 Mid 80% - 650 to 750)
Georgia Tech - College Of Business (Avg 680 Mid 80% - 640 to 730)
Emory - Goizueta (Avg 680 Mid 80% - 640 to 720)
UMD - Smith (Avg 660 Mid 80 % - 590 to 700)
Notre Dame - Mendoza (Avg 670 Mid 80% - 600 to 700)

Academics -
GMAT- 660 (M:48 V:33 AWA:5.0)
Undergrad - 81.2%
XIIth - 92.3%
Xth - 82.3%

Extracurricular -
Cricket - Participated in school and college level tournaments
Marathon - Ran WDW Marathon , Boston Half Marathon, and Dallas White Rock Marathon
Participated in national level college symposiums and won accolades.

Leadership Skills -
Placement Co ordinator - Career Services - Responsibilities involved facilitating campus recruiting process for visiting companies
Led a team of two while working on a project in Inautix Technologies

Responsibilities -
Sole module owner in the projects deliverd in both Inautix(Client - Bank of NewYork Mellon) and Zylog(Client - Disney).As a sole module owner, i have to interact with various teams, schedule and organize meetings and responsible for the timely delivery.

Volunteering Activities -
Member of a NGO - Hands on Orlando - Organized a food and cloth sorting event for homeless people in nearby area.
Member - Indian Red Cross Society - Volunteered in a blood donation drive.

Lessons learnt -
After college, planned to start a small organization(website) that would aim to collaborate all the information about human blood availabiltiy(mini blood blank) and hence help the health care establishments to easily find the availability of blood.

But this plan never really took off -
Reasons - Lack of commitment from self - Improper Planning - Did not analyze the viability of the project etc etc.

Kindly Advice.

Thanks in Advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm
Your school list is appropriate and has a good mix of schools for your profile. However, you do not have any real safety options as your GMAT is at or below the average for these programs. Thus if you want to add a school, I would suggest one with a GMAT average in the 620-650 range. Otherwise, I think you better get started on those applications.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by pradeepsarathy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 pm
Thanks Lisa.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate

by ravikant571 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 am
My profile

Xth- 65 %
X11th- 62
BE- 54 %
MMS Marketing-62 %

Age-32 years

Involved with NGOs for the last 2 years,was elected CR during BE(Graduation) and was a elected member of the the placement committe (MMS)

Exp.- 5.5 years in 3 firms.

Yet to give GMAT.

Likely to score in the range of 660-710 Range.

I already have an MBA from Mumbai university and am currently working in mumbai in the Marketing side.

I would like to get into Finance and operation, and hence I am planning to do MBA in US from top 25 B schools.

What are my chances ?

Thanks
Ravi

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:03 am
Dear Ravi,

First, you need to determine if you are eligible to apply to another MBA program with your degree from Mumbai University. If it is viewed as equivalent to a US MBA, then you would not be eligible to apply as schools will not award someone a degree he/she already has. If it is not viewed as equivalent, then you would be eligible to apply.

Without knowing your GMAT score and where you are looking to apply, it is hard to comment on your chances. You have enough work experience, but the quality of your experience is more important than the quantity. There are many threads on this site and lots of information on other sites that will give you additional insight and tips on identifying schools and evaluating your chances at those schools. I encourage you to do a little research, starting with determining if your MBA is equivalent to a US MBA.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

More info reqd

by ravikant571 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:25 am
Thnks for the reply.

I am sure of a GMAT score of 650+.
I am targetting the following schools

University of Florida- 1 Year MBA
University of Virgania- Darden-Wishful
Mays School of Business- TAMU
Haas school of busines-wishful
Kelly school of business
University of Maryland-Baltimore
Daarla Moore sxchool of Business

Thanks in advance.
RAvi
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear Ravi,

First, you need to determine if you are eligible to apply to another MBA program with your degree from Mumbai University. If it is viewed as equivalent to a US MBA, then you would not be eligible to apply as schools will not award someone a degree he/she already has. If it is not viewed as equivalent, then you would be eligible to apply.

Without knowing your GMAT score and where you are looking to apply, it is hard to comment on your chances. You have enough work experience, but the quality of your experience is more important than the quantity. There are many threads on this site and lots of information on other sites that will give you additional insight and tips on identifying schools and evaluating your chances at those schools. I encourage you to do a little research, starting with determining if your MBA is equivalent to a US MBA.

Good luck,
Lisa