Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by TopMBAHopeful26 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm
I'm hoping to get input on my MBA application strength. Below are my stats:

GMAT: Currently 690 44Q/40V on first attempt. Looking to retake to strengthen quant and get 700+ overall

GPA: 3.95 from Top 20 undergrad business school. Top 1% of class

Work experience: 5 years @ matriculation. 2+ years in Big 4 transaction services practice. Currently working at large private equity shop working in valuation/strategy group.

Certifications: Completed all 3 levels of CFA program on first attempt

Decent volunteer experience

Solid recommendations

Target schools:
Harvard
MIT
Dartmouth
Duke

Thanks so much for the help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm
With another year to go, you are in great shape. Focus on developing as many leadership opps over the next year, both from your career as well as volunteer experiences. Pushing the GMAT up a little will help. Not sure how you selected your schools, but I might ass 1-2 more, from the top 5. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Pattnaik » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:19 pm
Hi,
I am a B.Tech chemical engineering graduate from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy (Ranked among top 10 engineering colleges in India)
My GMAT score is 720 (Quant 49 Verbal 38 AWA 6 IR 7)
GPA is 8.28/10
Class XII : 82.6%
Class X : 93.5%

I am currently working in petroleum refining sector in Reliance Industries Ltd.(Ranked no. 107 in Fortune Global 500 list) since July 2013. I am planning to apply to B-schools in January'2016 after 2.5 years of work experience so that I would have acquired a work experience of 3 years by the time I matriculate.

Designation : Manager / Job Role : Field Engineer

I have internship experience at Indian institute of technology (IIT)- Madras, Indian institute of management (IIM)- Bangalore and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL - Ranked 260th in fortune 500 list)

1)I have worked with an NGO, Cooperative of Cultural Development to establish non-governmental reforms in forming cooperatives for farmers.
2)I have worked on a public awareness campaign in association with Indian national science congress on the "effect of junk food on people especially teenagers"
3)I have also volunteered to teach underprivileged children
4)During my internship at IIT Madras I wrote articles on recent incidents in India which affect the ecology and environment :
(i) Death of vultures due to feeding on drugged cattle carcasses
(ii)Crisis caused by insecticide Endosulfan 5)While working in the petroleum industry, I conduct health and safety awareness workshops for the workers.

I was a member of organizing team of college technical fest
Hobbies: painting, swimming, playing cricket, badminton and listening to music

Target Schools:-
Columbia
Chicago Booth
Wharton
MIT Sloan
Kellogg
UC Berkeley
Duke Fuqua
NYU
Tuck
Yale

Which among these are ambitious, within reach and safe.
What are the prospects of getting an admit into other B-schools outside US like insead,IE spain, LBS
Can I add anything else to my profile to make it more appealing

Also, what are my chances at ISB Hyderabad.

There were some technical issues at the exam centre which hampered my score a bit so I'm also considering giving gmat again to get a score around 750. I used to get 750-760 in my practice tests.

Thanks a lot