Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:610

Profile Evaluation

by sri123 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:25 am
Hi,

Please review my profile and provide your inputs. Thanks in advance :)

Sorry for the detailed information.

Please find my profile below.

UG - 77% B.E. Computer Science 
12th - 90.75% 
10th - 86.2 % 
total work-ex : 5 years as of sep 2013 (2 years in IT and 3 years of entrepreneurship)

25 Years Old, Indian Male 

UG -- B.E. CSE 

Extra Curricular's in UG : 

--> Placement Representative of my Batch (2004 to 2008) --> Trained my fellow mates and my immediate juniors for the placements and also organized all placement drives conducted at my college. 
Result : My batch recorded the highest number of placement offers.

--> Head, Organizing Committee of Eco Club --> I have organized treks to tribal hamlets situated atop mountain ranges to generate documentaries on the lifestyle of tribes, led over 100 club members hiking 15 to 20 miles in a single day. 

--> I was chosen to be the Student Coordinator In-Charge of a three day National Technical Symposium in my final year and also Headed a department function in my third year at college. 

--> I also functioned as the Master of Ceremony for most of the functions at college for four years 

Work -Ex in HCL Technologies

26 months in HCL Technologies(Indian IT MNC) as a Software Engineer 
-- Awarded "rising star" in the team for creating my module bug free 
-- Received recognition for my contributions to the team (created test bed automation) 
-- Master Of Ceremony for official functions 

My Extracurricular's at college involved a lot of organizing and marketing and also my experience at my workplace in a corporate environment was the basis for me to start a venture of my own (there is a big story here :))

SparknBeyond Work-ex

I founded SparknBeyond along with my buddy that delivers "Creativity consulting and Creativity Training for schools, colleges and Corporates" 

Achievements : 

-- >Shortlisted for the penultimate round of the The Economic Times 'Power of Ideas' Business Plan Challenge 2010 amidst around 17,500 entries from acrossIndia 

-->CIIE (Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship) of IIM-Ahmedabad features the story of SparknBeyond in their newsletter as a success case study for their start-up mentoring program MentorEdge on Jan 10, 2012 

-->Times of India, India's most read newspaper carries an article about Techniche - the techno management festival of IIT-Guwahati - which lists my firm "SparknBeyond" as one of the ten most promising, highly efficient and quickly emerging start-ups of the nation on Aug 4, 2012 

--> I ensured that we conduct training for NGO's and government schools free of cost as part of my company's CSR initiative 

Reason for MBA : I have an experience in technology and in delivering innovative solutions. I want to connect these two experiences with an MBA to launch my career in a technology company and possibly start my own in future.

ST Goal : Product manager at a technology company 

LT Goal : To start a technology firm 

Planning to apply in round 2 to the following Schools in order of preference - Haas, Kelly, HKUST, Ross, NUS, Tepper, .

My dream school is Haas --> I understand my GMAT score is low, but Haas has mentioned that maths is an integral part of their curriculum. Though my GMAT scores do not reflect my abilities exactly, but I have secured 99% in maths in 10th and 12th. I have also done six papers in my UG including Calculus, Numerical methods etc. Haas fits well with my ST and LT goals.

1) I request you to evaluate my profile with a score of 610 and let me know of the possibilities for Haas. (is there a possibility for Haas ?)

2) Please suggest schools that are in my league and some safe schools.

Thanks and Regards,
Sridharan

by sri123 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 pm
my GMAT Score : 610 (Q44, V31)

waiting for AWA and IR scores.

Appreciate your feedback on my profile.

Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 pm
Sridharan,

Thanks for your post.

I do think your GMAT score is going to be a significant hurdle to overcome when applying to top 25 US business schools. And the admissions committees do not consider almost anything (including tests) from before you started college. So while your test scores in 10th and 12th do help demonstrate your quantitative abilities, they will not be considered in the evaluation process.

Since you have strong extracurricular involvement and entrepreneurial work experience, I do think you can be competitive at schools with an average GMAT in the 650 range (such as Texas A&M Mays, Boston College, Univ. of IL, Purdue, and Michigan State). I suggest researching some of those schools to determine if they meet your career advancement goals.

Also, when speaking about your entrepreneurial experience, while press does help, it will be even more important to show key metrics such as revenues, employees, customers, etc.

Best of luck!

Heidi

by sri123 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 pm
Heidi,

Thank you for your inputs. I will consider the schools you have mentioned. Thanks once again.

Sridharan