Profile Evaluation Requested

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Requested

by msdilip » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am
Could you please evaluate my profile? Thanks!!

PROFILE: Engineer with 2 years of IT experience and one year of social entrepreneurship

GMAT - 710(92%le), Quant- 50(93 %le), Verbal- 35(73 %le), AWA- 5 (56%le)

Target Colleges :Harvard, MIT, Ross, Duke, ISB, London school of Business ...top B Schools

Academics: Undergrads- Engineer (Electronics & Communication)
Average Under graduation Institute
GPA: 72% (out of 100)

Work Experience: 3 yrs till Jun'2010
Social Entrepreneurship- 1 yr- Founded a social venture, an education portal on college search & selection (for a particular state in India)

Achievements
"¢ Within 3 months, portal registered a million page hits (target segment 1.5 lacs) & counseled 40,000 students
"¢ Won media accolades from 5 leading national/vernacular dailies like Times of India, Bangalore Mirror

Software engineer/Senior Programmer at ACCENTURE- 2 yrs- Role: Testing lead, single point of contact for the international client.

Awards
"¢ Received "ASE Achievers Award"- Annual Award given to the best freshers across the country
"¢ "Glacier Star of the Month" award for the best employee of the project and some other small awards
"¢ Promoted as a Software Engineer at the end of the first year

Other Achievements/Extra-Currics
"¢ Presented a Business plan & viability study of Pre owned car Business to the top management of leading automobile Company. The plan was eventually implemented by a sister company (turnover: $ 227 million) in one of the cities.
"¢ Member, Organizing committee- a platform for startups, VCs & FIs, at Bangalore IT Biz, India's 11th Flagship ICT event
"¢ Cofounder - Project Newsletter, Accenture
"¢ Placement Coordinator, member organizing committee for inter college festival (Undergrads)
"¢ Selected for the final VC funding round in National B-plan competition
"¢ Topper in 1st semester and Second position in 5th & 8th semester of engineering
"¢ Certificate of merit for scoring 88% in National Mathematics Olympiad Contest at school
"¢ Won Bronze medal in North India Karate Championship 1998 representing the state of Delhi

After the B school, I either plan to continue with entrepreneurship or take a job in Consulting or Marketing.

MY Queries
1. Is my profile good enough for top B-Schools?
2. I am thinking of joining a job along with my social venture. What kind of job shall I take which would be in sync with my profile for MBA? I am thinking of a sales & marketing, entry level consulting, Micro finance or an NGO? Will joining an NGO be best for my profile? Also how do you see a 3-month international NGO internship for me at this stage?
3. How can I further improve my profile? I would be applying in Round-1 this year
4. Please let me know your thoughts on my target schools
5. Will retaking GMAT significantly improve my profile, if I am able to score a 750?

It would be great if you could answer my queries. Thanks a lot!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 am
Based on the information you provided, yes, I think you have a shot at a top school. Your undergraduate grades are on the lower side but if your recommendations are strong and you can show a track record of success, I don't think the grades will keep you out of a top program. For you, I think recommendations and essays will be crucial. All of your "stats" are fine (a 710 is good enough for a top program - your chances will not change much with a 710 v. 750), you just need to create a compelling story addressing why you need an MBA at this point in your career. Your social entrepreneurship venture will probably be one of the more interesting (and unique) elements of your background as there are many Indian engineers with IT experience applying to business school! I would focus on building/expanding your social venture (or other entrepreurial activities) rather than looking for a job (particularly since you are applying to schools soon). The more "real" you can make your entrepreurial venture, the better!

Hope this helps. Schools are competitive and I'd make sure to include a few more "safe" schools in your list if you want to better ensure acceptance.

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options