Profile Evaluation Help!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Help!

by Sudan.M » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:59 am
Here is my profile, as brief as possible!

GPA: 3.0 Majored in Information Technology, Engineering, India

GMAT: On September 2009 : Target Score - 680+

Total Work Ex: 60 Months

Resume Highlights:

Worked as a Pre-sales Consultant at a I.T & Telecom Services company as a first job. Track record of 4 jumps in position in period of 2 years. Worked with a small team and a great boss who still is an inspiration.

Spearheaded the Knowledge Management initiative which was not part of the standard roles and responsibilities (Sharepoint) for the entire company. Still is being used by the entire company (400 + employees across the world) today!!!

Had to take time out from work for 6 months. Was diagnosed with Cancer, underwent Chemotherapy and surgery. Now cured! :)

Open invitation to return to existing job was present but instead chose to be involved in 2 startups with dual roles one as a Business and Technology Advisor (Part time ) - Knowledge Management and Outsourcing (HQ - Atlanta) and the other as an Business Partner (Executive Director and Head for the Indian Corporation) for Audio Visual Systems Integration Company headquartered in Dubai, UAE and entered into the Indian territory.

Relinquished the role as Business and Technology Advisor due to strategic differences between management .

Currently involved in only one startup as full time Head for the Indian Entity (2.5 Years+) . Started with One office in India and now has built a successful independent team for 5 Branches across different geographies. Our Company has now become one of the leading integrators in India whose client list speaks for itself. As a member of the Board directors, I report to the CEO and the rest of the board in the Head Quarters, UAE.

Recently, involved as a Strategic Business Advisor for the launch and setup for The Exclusive Yamaha Musical Instruments Distributor Show room in India for 2 locations. Responsibilities for it included due diligence for contractors, showroom location, interior decoration, branding and marketing are few of the areas involved as the Strategic Business Advisor.

There are lot of learning experiences working in the startup! But I do think it's appropriate to list them all here.

Other Interests:

Avid fan of and play tennis . Love the game !! Traveled extensively across different geographies like South Africa, Japan.

MBA B School Wishlist:

Personally a big fan of Standford because of their learning culture and beliefs.

Other Bschools being considered include Wharton, Columbia, Chicago and Michigan.

Community Interests:

To be very fair my time as an entrepreneur has limited my activities for external community activities.

Instead in my current organization there are a significant number of employees in the lower pay scale and from relatively impoverished family backgrounds.

In relation to that the company has started facilitating time and education workshops which include sponsoring higher degree education for select employees from poor financial background, subsidizing education for some of their family members, providing them support for children's welfare and education.

Other welfare initiatives driven by the company as a result of my intervention is health insurance, workplace safety measures and workplace insurance. These elements might be standard for the developed nations but are surprisingly absent in the SME (Small and Medium Enterprises) in India.

Significant initiatives which I have spearheaded also include:

Embedding Green AV in our solutions for energy management for our clients.

Optimization of supplier network to have suppliers with Rohs (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliance to make our products sold to the clients environment friendly.

As a company there has been conscious efforts for reducing our carbon foot print whether be it by optimization of logistics supply chain and travel, Usage of energy efficient solutions within the company.

I do significant amount of help but unfortunately it's been in the mostly in the form of donations towards the tennis courts employees at the Club - especially towards the ball boys and tennis markers who are traditionally from the bottom layer of society.

Do I stand a chance?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:55 pm
Hi Sudan and thanks for your post. Please see my comments below:

GPA: 3.0 Majored in Information Technology, Engineering, India

GMAT: On September 2009 : Target Score - 680+

Total Work Ex: 60 Months

Resume Highlights:

Worked as a Pre-sales Consultant at a I.T & Telecom Services company as a first job. Track record of 4 jumps in position in period of 2 years. Worked with a small team and a great boss who still is an inspiration.

Spearheaded the Knowledge Management initiative which was not part of the standard roles and responsibilities (Sharepoint) for the entire company. Still is being used by the entire company (400 + employees across the world) today!!!

Had to take time out from work for 6 months. Was diagnosed with Cancer, underwent Chemotherapy and surgery. Now cured!

Open invitation to return to existing job was present but instead chose to be involved in 2 startups with dual roles one as a Business and Technology Advisor (Part time ) - Knowledge Management and Outsourcing (HQ - Atlanta) and the other as an Business Partner (Executive Director and Head for the Indian Corporation) for Audio Visual Systems Integration Company headquartered in Dubai, UAE and entered into the Indian territory.

Relinquished the role as Business and Technology Advisor due to strategic differences between management .

Currently involved in only one startup as full time Head for the Indian Entity (2.5 Years+) . Started with One office in India and now has built a successful independent team for 5 Branches across different geographies. Our Company has now become one of the leading integrators in India whose client list speaks for itself. As a member of the Board directors, I report to the CEO and the rest of the board in the Head Quarters, UAE.

Recently, involved as a Strategic Business Advisor for the launch and setup for The Exclusive Yamaha Musical Instruments Distributor Show room in India for 2 locations. Responsibilities for it included due diligence for contractors, showroom location, interior decoration, branding and marketing are few of the areas involved as the Strategic Business Advisor.

There are lot of learning experiences working in the startup! But I do think it's appropriate to list them all here.

Your work experience is quite interesting. You have demonstrated growth, learning, teamwork, and leadership - all of which are qualities MBA programs are looking for. There is a bit of job hopping in your resume, but it sounds as though you've got solid explanations for each transition and that each new position has garnished you a new skill set.

Other Interests:

Avid fan of and play tennis . Love the game !! Traveled extensively across different geographies like South Africa, Japan.

While it's great that you have a passion for tennis and a love for travel, you will want to dig a little deeper in terms of your MBA application as neither of these is quite unique as compared to other applicants. It looks like you list some other activities and interest below.

MBA B School Wishlist:

Personally a big fan of Standford because of their learning culture and beliefs.

Other Bschools being considered include Wharton, Columbia, Chicago and Michigan.

Community Interests:

To be very fair my time as an entrepreneur has limited my activities for external community activities.

Instead in my current organization there are a significant number of employees in the lower pay scale and from relatively impoverished family backgrounds.

In relation to that the company has started facilitating time and education workshops which include sponsoring higher degree education for select employees from poor financial background, subsidizing education for some of their family members, providing them support for children's welfare and education.

Other welfare initiatives driven by the company as a result of my intervention is health insurance, workplace safety measures and workplace insurance. These elements might be standard for the developed nations but are surprisingly absent in the SME (Small and Medium Enterprises) in India.

Significant initiatives which I have spearheaded also include:

Embedding Green AV in our solutions for energy management for our clients.

Optimization of supplier network to have suppliers with Rohs (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliance to make our products sold to the clients environment friendly.

As a company there has been conscious efforts for reducing our carbon foot print whether be it by optimization of logistics supply chain and travel, Usage of energy efficient solutions within the company.

I do significant amount of help but unfortunately it's been in the mostly in the form of donations towards the tennis courts employees at the Club - especially towards the ball boys and tennis markers who are traditionally from the bottom layer of society.

Based on the descriptions you give above, I'm not quite sure I understand the scope of your involvement in the company initiatives. Were these your ideas? How involved were you in the execution of the ideas? If these are simply company initiatives and not ones where you had a specific role then you won't be able to list them on your applications. Can you clarify this for me?

Do I stand a chance?

Your GMAT score will help determine which schools you should apply. At this point it is difficult for me to evaluate your chances as I don't have the full picture in terms of GMAT and goals (reasons for seeking an MBA). I'm happy to provide you with more guidance once you respond to my questions above.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.