• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Profile Evaluation for ISB, Hyderabad

This topic has 4 member replies

Profile Evaluation for ISB, Hyderabad

I am from India and I want to get into ISB, Hyderabad. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me of any improvements.
Education:
10th std score: 89%
12th std score: 90.2%
Graduation grade point : 8.16/10 which is equivalent to 81.6%
Work Experience:
1) IT company - 10months - Sep 2015 to Jul 2016
2) Family Business - 18 months - Jul 2016 to till date (29 Jan 2018)
3) Along with family business I started a web development company taking small scale projects using the employees of my family business.

Below is my short SOP which I used for some other college admission,
The best of our capabilities and strengths are tested and improved when we willingly take on challenges. Since my childhood I have done exactly that, finding a solution to every problem that I am faced with thus creating a confidence to take charge of my destiny. I have been intrigued by the intricacies involved in everyday businesses while I worked for Aaruush, the Tech Fest at SRM University. As part of my responsibilities, I visited Andhra Pradesh campaigning for our college fest and brought a record 250 plus registrations which has since become the benchmark. Being a strong academic performer helped in securing employment in the first placement session itself while in my final year of graduation.
While working for Cognizant Technology Solutions, I quickly and successfully grasped the work pattern and the team structure that exists at MNC’s. My skills where recognized when my onsite manager put me in charge to develop a new method of software testing using SOAP UI tool. Later I joined our family business where my prime responsibilities included developing strategic project goals, creating team structure and assigning tasks. It enlightened me about employee psychology, team management, decision making and handling critical situations.
Being a person who has always appreciated aesthetic perfection with simplicity at work, web development is a field that I have incorporated that in. Apart from my family business, I developed a website "mpag.in" and later started a web development company named "Bright Look", taking on small-scale web development projects. This was aided by my knowledge on coding and work experience gained at CTS and the confidence of running the family business.
My journey thus far has made me realize, to take up higher management roles and to create a niche in current competitive market scenario, one must have a strong insight into managerial skills. With its high quality mentoring and excellent exposure towards the competitive business world, I strongly believe that a premier institute like ------ at this point in my career would help me understand the nuances of business and management.

What are my chances of getting into ISB?
What should be my GMAT score?
How should I improve my profile?
Thank You so much for reading all this!!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
325 messages
Followed by:
12 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

Thanks for sharing your profile in depth. Your academics seems to be good, you should definitely aim for 740-750 GMAT and I a sure you will be able to achieve it. You over all carry a good profile, you should consider thinking about the achievements in your professional career. While assessing your application, top b-schools looks for candidates who have demonstratednleadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don’t necessarily mean leading teams - they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation and career progression.

Coming to your questions, What are your chances of getting into ISB Hyderabad?
If you can write excellent essays , understanding and justifying the requirements of the adcom, you carry a good chances but yet this can't be judged on just your essays or GMAT but your over all application and profile would matter.

What should be your GMAT score?
Considering your academics, you should definitely think about 740

How should you improve my profile?
Leadership skills, get some interesting stories that can enhance your leadership skills and also work on your extra curricular activities.

If you want a free profile evaluation from an ISB alumni, please feel free to Pm or you can call me on +91 9980044412

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056/ 9620555680 | Email Us: customercare@general-ed.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
306 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
A few more perspectives for your to consider Tarun:

- The profile contours and your attachment with family business sounds good. However, you have to ensure you weave all of this into a coherent story with quantified impact and most importantly, connect it looking forward. Your current SoP doesn't do that effectively and is hence a clear area of attack. Get clarity on your post-MBA plans at a far more granular level.

- There is not nothing mentioned on the ECs front. Read here to understand why they matter.

- There isn't really a magic GMAT number; read here. Higher the better really is the mantra there.

Hope this helps some more.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Top Member

Here are a few aspects that you need to be careful about:

1. Justifying the significant career shift.
2. Elaborating more on the need for MBA; bringing rich points around skill-development.
3. Suggesting a visionary career plan.

If you do the aforesaid, while linking all the dots in the profile and aspirations to tell a story, a decent case can be built with what we have in hand.

Regarding your GMAT query, the average GMAT at ISB is around 710. With lower years of experience and a career shift, you must look at exceeding the 710 significantly.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
www.ExpertsGlobal.com

taruntejp wrote:
Hi,
I am from India and I want to get into ISB, Hyderabad. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me of any improvements.
Education:
10th std score: 89%
12th std score: 90.2%
Graduation grade point : 8.16/10 which is equivalent to 81.6%
Work Experience:
1) IT company - 10months - Sep 2015 to Jul 2016
2) Family Business - 18 months - Jul 2016 to till date (29 Jan 2018)
3) Along with family business I started a web development company taking small scale projects using the employees of my family business.

Below is my short SOP which I used for some other college admission,
The best of our capabilities and strengths are tested and improved when we willingly take on challenges. Since my childhood I have done exactly that, finding a solution to every problem that I am faced with thus creating a confidence to take charge of my destiny. I have been intrigued by the intricacies involved in everyday businesses while I worked for Aaruush, the Tech Fest at SRM University. As part of my responsibilities, I visited Andhra Pradesh campaigning for our college fest and brought a record 250 plus registrations which has since become the benchmark. Being a strong academic performer helped in securing employment in the first placement session itself while in my final year of graduation.
While working for Cognizant Technology Solutions, I quickly and successfully grasped the work pattern and the team structure that exists at MNC’s. My skills where recognized when my onsite manager put me in charge to develop a new method of software testing using SOAP UI tool. Later I joined our family business where my prime responsibilities included developing strategic project goals, creating team structure and assigning tasks. It enlightened me about employee psychology, team management, decision making and handling critical situations.
Being a person who has always appreciated aesthetic perfection with simplicity at work, web development is a field that I have incorporated that in. Apart from my family business, I developed a website "mpag.in" and later started a web development company named "Bright Look", taking on small-scale web development projects. This was aided by my knowledge on coding and work experience gained at CTS and the confidence of running the family business.
My journey thus far has made me realize, to take up higher management roles and to create a niche in current competitive market scenario, one must have a strong insight into managerial skills. With its high quality mentoring and excellent exposure towards the competitive business world, I strongly believe that a premier institute like ------ at this point in my career would help me understand the nuances of business and management.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
I am targetting ISB, Hyderabad, and I'm from India. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me of any improvements.

Education:
10th std score: 88%
12th std score: 93.2%
Graduation grade point : 81.83% equal to 8.61 grade point
Work Experience:
1) software developer (Oracle) - 30months - June 2016 to Present

Internships (because I wanted a hands on experience before trying to get into MBA)
All internships are part-time along with my full time job at Oracle.
1)Business development manager at a startup (8 months)
2)Digital marketing intern(1 month)
3)Marketing intern(2 months)
4) Full time research intern (6 months) during B.Tech in DRDO

Achievements:
1. Two research papers published during internship at DRDO ( one in IEEE and one in a leading journal)

Extra curriculars:
1.Google ad words certified
2.VP, public relations at Toastmaster in Office
3.Started an online technical magazine during college
4. Assistant editor of the Official Newsletter of the University for 2 years
5.Organised many events and tech-fests, workshops during college leading teams of 5-50 people at a time, also seeing footfall of nearly 5000
6. Actively involved in multiple volunteering activies in office CSR
7. A couple of my poems have been published online

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code