Profile Evaluation and Chances

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Chances

by champwix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 am
Hi,
Need you advise with regards to my mba applications and how can I improve my chances for particular programs.

I am 27 year old, Male, Indian Techie.
"¢ College/major/GPA
Undergarduate Instituition - Government Engineering College.
Degree - Bachelors Degree (BE)
Major - Electrical Electronics & Power.
GPA - I do not have exact GPA calculated as I am an International Student. My Undergrads average %age (for 4 years degree) is 67. So, according to me it should be around (3.2 - 3.3).
I will get my transcripts evaluated very soon so that I can have my actual GPA.
Plenty of extra curricular activities that I can re-direct to managerial skills during my undergrads.

- 12th >> 80.5%
- 10th >> 78.13%
Always been the Class Representative and other extra-curricular activities.

"¢ Years of work experience
64 months (5.3 years).
"¢ Current job
Professional full-time Industrial experience in IT sector, specifically in Telecom Domain.
Designated as a "Team Leader" (next to Program Manager).
Currently on Onsite (USA) Deputation since March'2011 (almost 2 years).
Achievements: 2 time "Valuable Team Player" Award, and 2 time "Certificate of Appreciation". Accolades from Client on effectively handling the Test Execution Representation on Status Calls and Managing the Program. I can try to get a reco from client.

"¢ GMAT score(s)
13 Dec'2010 - 510 (Q42 / V19) >> Overall - 510 / 37%, AWA - 4.5 / 37%.
10 Dec'2012 - 600 (Q47 / V27) >> Overall - 600 / 62%, AWA / IR - Not yet available.
However, I am sure about AWA to be at least 5.5
TOEFL Score - 88. Note that I have already interacted with particular school programs about the TOEFL waiver and I am eligible as I am working in US since last 2 years. If it all program requires me to have higher TOEFL score I will surely plan to retake.

Though the GMAT score is low, I can have well articulated essays showing my struggle and hardships.

"¢ Interest in MBA
International Business.
"¢ School shortlist -
My Dream University / Program is "Boston University - International Management".
I was well prepared for BU to hit their median GMAT requirement, but my verbal score bombed.
The other school I sorted are: Carrol - BC, Simon - Rochester, Smeal, Rutgers Business School, University of Buffalo.

What do you feel my chances are ?? I have heard that Adcom does look overall profile, however for an Indian Techie like me, a lower GMAT score is certainly a deterrent.
I am still aiming for BU, though it seems out of reach. What if I retake GMAT by end of Jan, so as to increase on my Verbal score, and apply for the BU in 3rd round ? What are the chances then applying in 3rd round?

Thanks in advance!!