Profile Evaluation and Advice Please

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Advice Please

by HinaS. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:59 pm
Hi,

My name is Hina and I am a 23 year old BBA student. I wanted to know if you could take the time to tell me my weaknesses and what advice you have for getting into Harvard, Oxford International Business programs.

College Work:

Started in 2003 at one college where I scored a gpa of 3.85 and transferred to another college where for about a year and a half I stayed and had a gpa of 2.92. I can't say that I was experiencing anything big that caused this drop but it was a shock from always being surrounded by 15 students, even in high school, to classes that had literally 600 to 700 students. I also experienced a few financial setbacks and being the oldest I had burdens placed on me that required my time and effort. After a year and a half I switched to a University setting where I was able to pull my gpa to a average 3.75, it was a 3.8 but my last semesters B brought it down, all of other my grades were above a B+. I have also three withdrawals during in my last University.

Work Experience:
Since the age of 16 I have been actively part of a family owned business. My father runs the corporation, dealing with the workers and executives, and I run the financial/paper work aspect. I file all of the proposals, invoices, billings and payments even though I had no prior knowledge of this work area. To this day I still actively participate in this corporation even though I don't get paid :).

In 2005 I worked for my college's bookstore both for the winter season and the summer season. They said I had a wide array of abilities so I pretty much handled different positions in the bookstores department. One minute I could be answering telephone calls for the managers, next minute I could be ordering textbooks for professors, shelving textbooks, handling the buyback section, training new tellers how to handle customer service even though wasn't officially trained for it. One thing I learned from working at the bookstore was that I was able to absorb information quickly.

In 2007/2008 I started to manage a new venture even though it has its own website but hasn't officially launched yet. I am still waiting for government contracts to be approved. I started a solar energy corporation where I would start out in my country by providing solar energy products. My country goes to loadshedding where for more than 12 hours there is no electricity and even generators will not be of much help. In turn I provide equipment that would alleviate the burden of not having electricity. Services such as solar water heating, solar cooling and cooking systems. This venture will require me to deal with several international based companies in Indian, Japan and China.

Other than that I have been very active community wise and have volunteered at many community and cultural based centers.

I haven't taken the GMATs yet, my test date is Dec. 5th, but with this small resume do you think I should try and apply to Harvard or Oxford? What else do you suggest I should do to strengthen my chances? Does attending three colleges affect my chances? How should I address the plunge in my gpa?

Sorry for such a long statement!