Profile Eval+School Selection; Post MBA focus - Prod. Mgmt.

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hi

Could you please evaluate my profile and help in determining if my school list seems in line with my profile or not?

GMAT: 750 AWA 6
Degrees:
1. Masters in Engineering Management from Duke University (2008 - right after completing my undergraduate) GPA 3.77
2. Bachelor in Engineering from Delhi College of Engineering (Top 10 in India) in Electronics (2007) - 75% (first class)
Work Experience:
Since July 2008 to date at BlackRock Financial Management (World's largest asset manager with $3.5 trillion Assets under management) New York, USA - Product Manager for BlackRock's proprietory Investment Accounting Software (its a unique company as it creates its own software platform and sells it as a service to other large asset management and insurance firms). In addition, recently promoted to Vice President - have quick progression from being an Analyst when I started in 2008 to Associate in end of 2009 and now VP (average time taken for peers is atleast 5 years).
Why MBA:
Want to move out of Financial Sector and into High Tech. Current role is Product Management but at a low scale since Financial Sector is a niche domain with a limited 'user' base. So, want to work in a high tech firm where Product Management is at a much large scale (more challenging) and is at the heart of the firm's revenue source.
Type of MBA:
Since I have a 9 month Masters already that covered sort of MBA 101 courses, preferring to focus on 1 year programs. In addition, I am a UK citizen so looking for schools in Europe (location change).
Schools shortlisted so far (need to narrow down to probably 5-6):
INSEAD, Cambridge (Judge), London Business School, Oxford (Said), IMD Switzerland, MIT Sloan, Berkeley Haas, Chicago Booth, Imperial College of London, Rotterdam School of Management
Other information:
Have completed internships during undergraduate in Philippines, Netherlands. Attended conferences in Singapore, Stanford. Currently, work very closely with business users in EMEA every day. Have traveled to London and Edinburgh for work. Have good extra curricular activities from Duke as well.

Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Vidhan

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm
Hi, Vidhan
From what you have provided, you seem to have some good credentials for an MBA program. Your GPAs and overall GMAT score (did you score over 80% on each section?) are within the ranges for these schools. While you are making a career switch, the path makes a lot of sense and you should have good transferable skills that you can demonstrate to the AdCom. At the same time, you will need to clearly articulate why you need an MBA to make this switch. It's good that you have progressed so quickly and you will want to demonstrate why in your applications. You mention extracurricular activities from under grad - be sure to include those types of experiences, especially any more recent to show your character and passions and set you apart from others in engineering/finance. In terms of narrowing your list of schools, determine which criteria are the most important to you - learning style, curriculum, school offerings, etc. Then research each program to see which is the best fit for your specific needs.

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by vidhansrivastava » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 pm
Hi Susan

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I scored 49 in Quant (85%) and 42 in Verbal (95%) with overall 98% for 750. I have spoken to alumni, current students, researched online and attended info sessions to narrow down on INSEAD as the top choice for the Jan intake next year. If all goes well, then I wouldn't need to apply anywhere else. Otherwise I am considering applying to Cambridge, Oxford, LBS, MIT, Haas and Kellogg which have deadlines later this year in Oct.

Do let me know if you have any input on my strategy and this list, keeping in mind my background.

Many thanks,
Vidhan

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am
Hi, Vidhan

It sounds like you have done a lot of research for your school selection. The one thing I would add is that those are all Tier 1 programs. Depending on your criteria and when you want to go to business school, you may want to consider adding a safety school(s) to that list.

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vipul2012 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 am
VIPUL AGGARWAL
ACADEMIC DETAILS

Year Degree / Exam Institute GPA / Marks(% )
---- B.Tech in Computer Engineering BPIT, IP University 7.184
2007 CBSE Apeejay School 86.0
2009 CBSE Apeejay School 83.3

SCHOLASTIC ACHIEVEMENTS
International Internal Assessment of School conducted by University Of New South Wales
One of the two students selected from a batch of 800 to represent Delhi in Mathematics and English
Received accolade for the youngest student to represent India.
Attained B1 (Intermediate level International Certification) by British Council, India in English Skills
Technical Awards:
Winner, codex (2012), bug hunter (2012), battle code (2011) at D.C.E.
Runner-up, among 140 participations Brain Twister (2011), CircuitX (2010), Accelerometer (2010), Sin never sleeps (2010) at D.C.E.
Second Runner-up, Technical Paper Presentation among 80 participations at D.T.U.
Runner-up, among 700 participants from India National Computer Proficiency Test organized by PXE Software Limited (2011)

INTERNSHIPS
BPTP, Gurgaon, Haryana (Dec 2011 - Jan 2012)
Developed an insight of SAP working, leverages materials, assets and budget tracking
Received a pre-placement offer for special research in training and aptitude.

Intelli-Net Systems, Gurgaon, Haryana (June - July, 2011)
Amongst the top 7 IT companies in Delhi with a combined revenue of 1.63 million USD
Developed customer relations in a diverse multilingual environment, part of Software Development Life Cycle
Designed programming modules, part of software designed for a Multinational Firm.
Proposed a Life Cycle Model, helpful in designing more customer friendly software.

I.B.M, Bangalore (June - July, 2010)
Amongst the top 3 IT companies in World with a combined revenue of 36.79 billion USD
One of the Six students selected from over 1000 students for IBM annual training program
Attained 1st rank in Modules (Module 1 and Module 2) at IBM
Proposed theory for efficient data mining, increasing outputs from the employees (Under review)

PROJECTS
ILYAAS (June - Dec, 2011):
Worked in a team of 40 to develop centralized software (for a multinational firm) consisting of:
DOTNET (C#), Java and Oracle application for transactions in entire firm globally
Integrated platform to manage allowance, increments and bonus of employees
Worked as Group Leader for Java Programming team to develop Data Warehousing and mining (for finance department)

Designing of Professional Website for School (Jan - May, 2010):
Worked in a team of 4 to develop an integrated website (for IP School) consisting of:
Java application for uploading videos and playing them online
Web platform, a social networking site for Alumina of school to interact with
Adobe application, which allows school to upload Datasheets, Syllabi and ongoing activities
Managed database for the web platform (student accounts) connected to MS-Excel

R.A.N.G.E.R.S, BPIT Delhi (July - Dec, 2009):
Conceptualized and fabricated robots based on Dual-Tone Multiple-Frequency (collective behavior of decentralized, self- organized units)
Simulated the behavior of robots as a function of distance (speed and attributes); useful in navigating from large distances
Successfully completed the problem statement of robotics competition of the renowned D.C.E. TechFest, 2010
Winner, Robo Throttle (3-Tier Competition involving Robo Race, Line Follower, Robo Wars) event at BPIT, IP University

EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Dramatics and Sports:
Winner, Fastest Messaging First, IGIT
Runner up amongst 30 participants, Eat-to-beat, IGIT
Winner, Inter-College football competition, Corona-2009 (annual cultural festival), BPIT
Adjudicated Man-Of-The-Tournament by Sports Head of NSIT
2nd Runner up, AdMad-2008 (a three tier competition involving creative advertising, spoofs, parodies), D.C.E
Played football for Royal Club (India's Acme Club for teenagers) -2008, 2009

De bating and Literary:
Winner, Extempore (2009, 2010, 2011), Debates (2009, 2010, 2011) at D.C.E and BPIT. Represented the college in debates, extempore; conducted practice sessions to groom new talents Writing: Philosophical, Creative
My first book 'Business: A Complete Enterprise' will be published soon
Contributed to Zenith (school magazine) and institute magazines; maintains a regular blog
Winner, Essay Writing Competition at D.C.E. (2009, 2010, 2011) and BPIT (2011)

Social Initiative s:
Internship, NGO AIESEC, New Delhi Visited slums across Delhi to impregnate Moral Values, under program 'Iccha' Surveyed 500 children, slums and industrial areas; identified the key activities leading to a bad lifestyle Drafted a blueprint for the mitigation measures, to adopted by AIESEC in the coming years
Active member of Children's Home, NGO, A Delhi Government Initiative
Provided pedagogy to 10th-12th students, involving over 300 participants from across Delhi
Involved in cleanliness drives, teaching initiatives in foster homes and village areas of Delhi

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Event Coordinator, Literary Events (Dec, 2010 - Jan, 2011):
Lead a team of 20, successfully conducted Group Discussions, Debate, Just a Min, Essay Writing, Brick bating
Took the initiative to publicize the event at IIT Delhi and other colleges of Delhi
Achievements: Recorded highest participation of over 400

President, Developing English, BPIT Delhi (Jan, 2011 - Present): Led since its naissance
Exchange Student's Guide: Introduced the first comprehensive Funda Book for developing Rapid Vocabulary
Launched a forum for exchange students to share their experiences
Pioneered the yearbook to commemorate the success of placement programs and maintain a strong alumni network

Member, Robo Cynics (Society at DCE) (August 2010 - Present):
One of the two students selected from outside college for membership
Conducted Workshops across Delhi in various colleges over Robot Development and its future Aspects

Member of Disciplinary Committee of School (April, 2008 - Feb, 2009):
Selected from 200 students for strong academic background and extra-curricular activities
Nominated for the Best Discipline In charge Award

OTHER INTERESTS
Traveling and exploring diverse cultures and cuisines, Reading, Indian history, Vedic Mathematics

I am planning to give GMAT and apply at MIT and its kin. With a lot in shelf left for one more year to add up in profile. Should i apply for universities without workex ?