Premium Oysters.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

Premium Oysters.

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:43 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: Santa Clara,CA
GMAT Score:700

Re: Premium Oysters.

by rajanyadav » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:42 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

In the below question OA is D. Can someone please tell what is the problem with E ?

As per my understanding in E...

First Clause = X developed prototype that is sitting below ocean.
Second Clause = It provides PQR.

Both the above clauses are joined by conjunctor And...is it because "it" can refer to prototype as well as surface both...so no clear referent ....

===============================================

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks’ growth.
A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides
B. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean for providing
C. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and providing
D. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides
Look closely at E. "that is sitting" and "it provides" is not parallel. Also sits is preferred to is sitting. I believe it has to do with active voice.
In comparison to E, D has - sits below and provides- parallel voice

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

Re: Premium Oysters.

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MBA Student
Posts: 1194
Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Location: Paris, France
Thanked: 71 times
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 am
Dude parallelism is definitely an issue here.

Lets go to the basics :

Idiom : both X and Y

X and Y have to parallel, isn't it?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 435
Joined: 02 May 2009
Thanked: 17 times

Re: Premium Oysters.

by madhur_ahuja » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
rajanyadav wrote: Look closely at E. "that is sitting" and "it provides" is not parallel. Also sits is preferred to is sitting. I believe it has to do with active voice.
In comparison to E, D has - sits below and provides- parallel voice
IMO here the parallelism issue is not there.....

since they are two independent clauses joined by conjunction "and"....parallelism comes in a single independent sentence....

Please tell what I am missing here ?

I disagree. Parallelism can come into effect whenever there is conjunction and. It does not matter if they are independent clauses . The clauses can be made parallel as well.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

Re: Premium Oysters.

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 435
Joined: 02 May 2009
Thanked: 17 times

Re: Premium Oysters.

by madhur_ahuja » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:39 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
madhur_ahuja wrote:I disagree. Parallelism can come into effect whenever there is conjunction and. It does not matter if they are independent clauses . The clauses can be made parallel as well.
Yes I agree with you...

Clauses "can" be made parallel...but they necessarily are not required to be made so....

i.e. if they are not parallel, then it does not mean that we can kick out simply because they are not parallel...for e.g. the case in E....it seems there is some other issue(atleast to me it looks so)

Please tell if I am misinterpreting you....or there is something that I am missing...
You are right. But there are several examples in OG where answer is choosen between two or may be among three options solely on basis of parallelism. So, here, D is preferable because of parallelism than option E.

Not every option needs to have a grammatical error. We need to choose the best answer out of 5 and not the correct answer out of in 4 incorrect and one correct.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

Re: Premium Oysters.

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:45 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

Re: Premium Oysters.

by goelmohit2002 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 pm
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 122
Joined: 22 May 2009
Thanked: 8 times
GMAT Score:700

by rah_pandey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 am
E also changes meaning

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks’ growth.

The portion in bold means the prototype is of a farm which is sitting below the surface of ocean which is not so the prototype is itself sitting below the surface.

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 154
Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Thanked: 5 times
Followed by:3 members

by turbo jet » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:29 am
Parallelism is the problem here.
Life is Tom; I am Jerry ;)

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:42 am
Edited. Doubt Cleared.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Thanked: 36 times
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 am
Edited.
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Posts: 527
Joined: 01 May 2008
Thanked: 7 times

Re: Premium Oysters.

by real2008 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:53 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

In the below question OA is D. Can someone please tell what is the problem with E ?

As per my understanding in E...

First Clause = X developed prototype that is sitting below ocean.
Second Clause = It provides PQR.

Both the above clauses are joined by conjunctor And...is it because "it" can refer to prototype as well as surface both...so no clear referent ....

===============================================

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks’ growth.
A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides
B. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean for providing
C. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and providing
D. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides
Experts kindly share your opinion on this please !!!
though not an expert yet trying to answer......

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks’ growth.
A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ('IT' refers to whom? oyster, farm???)
B. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean for providing (what is wrong in B??????)
C. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and providing
D. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides ('IT' refers to whom? oyster, farm???)