Poltical Party

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Poltical Party

by subgeeth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 pm
political party considered by many citizens extreme and incompetent is working hard at overcoming what it perceives as an unfair and prejudiced public image. The group believes it is stereotyped simply because it opposes any preemptive military action, which is unpopular, and calls for a 50% reduction in carbon emissions, a cut far more severe than most citizens want.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the party's belief about the source of its poor public image?
A) The current ruling political party, whose popularity is at near record levels, launched a preemptive military strike against a neighboring country three weeks ago.
B) A neighboring country recently suffered a surprise attack that devastated its country and polluted its environment.
C) A popular rival party bans unilateral attacks to defend the homeland and unconditionally supports a 60% reduction in carbon emissions.
D) A recent poll showed that a party whose most prominent candidate supports preemptive war and minimal carbon restrictions is quite popular.
E) Twenty years ago, a pacifist party successfully and popularly ruled the country.

[spoiler]
IMO C but I chose D can any one explain?[/spoiler]

by neoreaves » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm
IMO C

D talks about the "prominent candidate" being popular, but doesn't tell us anything about the popularity of the party itself

by paddle_sweep » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 am
I will go for C. What is the OA?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MRehman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 am
IMO its C as that is the only answer that weakens the argument in the stimulus. The Stimulus talks about political party's worries of its negative perception. I think D does more to support it rather weaken it. What is the OA?

by subgeeth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 am
OA is C
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:47 am
What is your question here? What I inferred is 'you think it is C, but you choose D'. My question is why you did that? If you think C then choose C. How come anybody else can help this?
subgeeth wrote:political party considered by many citizens extreme and incompetent is working hard at overcoming what it perceives as an unfair and prejudiced public image. The group believes it is stereotyped simply because it opposes any preemptive military action, which is unpopular, and calls for a 50% reduction in carbon emissions, a cut far more severe than most citizens want.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the party's belief about the source of its poor public image?
A) The current ruling political party, whose popularity is at near record levels, launched a preemptive military strike against a neighboring country three weeks ago.
B) A neighboring country recently suffered a surprise attack that devastated its country and polluted its environment.
C) A popular rival party bans unilateral attacks to defend the homeland and unconditionally supports a 60% reduction in carbon emissions.
D) A recent poll showed that a party whose most prominent candidate supports preemptive war and minimal carbon restrictions is quite popular.
E) Twenty years ago, a pacifist party successfully and popularly ruled the country.

[spoiler]
IMO C but I chose D can any one explain?[/spoiler]