please help me out in this...!!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

please help me out in this...!!!

by sridevipavan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:49 pm
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation's surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of "disinformation" campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America's political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

10. The author of the passage above bases his conclusion on which of the following?
(A) A circular definition of "disinformation"
(B) An example of the ineffectiveness of lying as a weapon in the propaganda war
(C) An analogy between truth and water
(D) An appeal to the authority of the fire department
(E) An attack on the character of American intelligence agents in Western Europe

11. The author's main point is that
(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds
(B) America's moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth
(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses
(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage America's standing in Europe
(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

by baladon99 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am
10) C

11) E

by Calvin123 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am
sridevipavan wrote:As one who has always believed that truth is our nation's surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of "disinformation" campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America's political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

10. The author of the passage above bases his conclusion on which of the following?
(A) A circular definition of "disinformation"
(B) An example of the ineffectiveness of lying as a weapon in the propaganda war.
Author didnt provice any example to prove ineffectiveness of lying
(C) An analogy between truth and water
Correct: Author is trying to give analogy between water and the truth, as water is effective to fight with fire, truth must be effective for the propaganda war.
(D) An appeal to the authority of the fire department
Out of context.
(E) An attack on the character of American intelligence agents in Western Europe
Author is not trying to attack the character of the agent

11. The author's main point is that
(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds
CORRECT
(B) America's moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth
this is the author believe but not the main point
(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses
This is not the main point as it is not mentioned that disinformation campaigns could give long term losses(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage America's standing in Europe
This is not the main point(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States
Author never said it is not effective to serve political interests.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 pm
OA please. IMO 11-> B
This time no looking back!!!
Navami