Please help guys- advice needed, giving gmat in 5 days

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I recently gave Gmat-Prep1
I scored 50 on Q-provided i did 29/37 questions correct.
On Verbal I scored 19-but i did 24/41 questions correct. The weak link if it matters was that i did last 5 q wrong.

I ended up getting a mere score of 580. Is it possible? Normally having this much questions right, one is supposed to get around 650, isn't it?

Any advice guys.....

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 am
Number of question right (or wrong) is not a good way to tell how high your score is going.

For the verbal... perhaps you scored low early in the section, so the software generated easy questions in the middle section (which you got right, but didnt necessarily bring up your score that much) ....

Its definitely possible.... I would try and spend some more time in the opening 10 questions... you will have to go counter to your intuition throughout the rest of the test.. where you speed up ur time per question (on harder questions or similar leveled questions)

Whats your worst verbal section ?

by er.twi.fb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 am
Well you see, i got 9 right out of first 10 q. I started well, but in the middle got a few wrong because of some tough q.
So what now. This Gmat test is sick, it's just your luck. You need to be lucky to get the pattern of q's right to have algorithm work for you.

by er.twi.fb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:05 am
Hey Duke,

My worst verbal section was Sentence Correction. I always narrow down to 2 choices(1 wrong, 1 right) and pick the wrong own. Patience and thinking a little bit more matters too.
Sick of it already.

GMAT Score:480

by NotinFresno » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm
er.twi.fb wrote:Hi,

I recently gave Gmat-Prep1
I scored 50 on Q-provided i did 29/37 questions correct.
On Verbal I scored 19-but i did 24/41 questions correct. The weak link if it matters was that i did last 5 q wrong.

I ended up getting a mere score of 580. Is it possible? Normally having this much questions right, one is supposed to get around 650, isn't it?

Any advice guys.....
Wow, I know that the # of right/wrong doesn't make that much of a difference, but wow, I'd definitely assume you'd be in the low 600s with those kinds of hit rates. I'd get one of the instructors involved. Try PMing someone, they are good about responding. BTW, I'm taking my GMAT on Saturday, 8/7 also, so good luck to you.