Please evaluate profile.

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please evaluate profile.

by ketnet1 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:58 pm
Hi, Please evaluate my profile. Thank you in advance!

PROFILE: Financial Analyst

GMAT (3rd try) - 600(65%ile), Quant- 44(69 %ile), Verbal- 28(47 %lie), AWA- 4.5 (37%ile) [AWA- 5 (56%ile) 2nd time]

Target schools Part-Time: USC, Carnegie Melon, Boston University, Santa Clara University.
(My gmat score is close to the avg for the school's PT programs listed above). Definitely within 80% range.

Academics: Undergrads- Economics B.A.
UC Campus
GPA: 2.707

Work Experience: 3.75 yrs
(1st job/yr in client serving role at one of Big Four firm, 2nd job as Financial Analyst- non-managerial).

Extracurricular/ leadership roles:
-Student adviser for 100+ students, media translator (an international and domestically based non-profit).
-Chapter Vice President for Alumni
-Vice President for Business Frat. (College)

My Questions/ Concerns
1. Is my profile good enough for those school listed above?
2. My main concern is the low gpa- due to taking heavy quant engineering calculus courses in college. In addition, there is one upper div. math unfortunately received a D in. Seems like those schools listed above have at least a 3.0 avg for PT.
What "specific" classes should I take to balance the gpa weakness and is it better to take the class at community college or an UC extention? ( I assume the only way now to make up for the low gpa is to take classes, since nothing can be done about college gpa).
3. Since I'm currently unemployed (3 months), should I try to find a job first to fill the resume gap before I apply this fall? If so, should I find an int'l job to gain more of a unique int'l background?
4. Does it hurt my chances of being competitive if I am unemployed when applying for PT programs?
5. How can I further improve my profile? I would be applying for Round-1 this year
6. I am mainly applying to "part time" because they require a lower GMAT and gpa score. Since PT gmat score is lower than FT's, is PT less competitive than FT? Since I have tried my best in GMAT preparation, I really am aiming for the schools listed above.

Thank you for your input and advice. I greatly appreciate it!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Part-time programs are generally designed for working students (applicants generally apply to programs where they live/work or where they know they can transfer with a current position). I think it will be difficult to convince an Adcom that you are the right candidate for a part-time program when you don't currently have a job. However, you may be able to do this if you can explain that you KNOW you will be living in a certain city and that you know why/where you will work (or have other compelling reasons to go to school part-time instead of full-time).

My next question would be what have you been doing since you lost your job? (and what do you intend to do for the next 14 months?). Are you volunteering? travelling? doing freelance work? There are many answers that could work for an Adcom, but, you need to fill your time with something impressive if you don't intend to work. Generally people in business school have business jobs - it will be a red flag if you do not. Also, it may be difficult to get good recommendations without a "current" position.

I do suggest that you take some business courses (community college is fine) in finance/econ/stats/calc. as soon as possible. Getting good grades in these classes will show an Adcom that you can handle the work academically. And, remember that Adcoms will be able to see trends in your undergrad GPA - if one or two rigorous classes brought down your GPA they will most likely give you a little leeway!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more specific (or additional) questions.

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options