Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by sogmat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am
Hi Stacy,

I really wanna make it to either Stanford, Columbia or Stern.

Here's my profile-

The good

3.5 yrs of work-x

-Working since a month as an equity research analyst at one of the leading Indian financial institutions.

-Before that, I was working with one of the big fours in the market research division for about 3 yrs 5 months. Was promoted twice and was a star performer. I am pretty sure that I will receive strong reccos

-I have also been working with an NGO for about 7 years and am now an area head with 11 committee heads reporting to me

-I also took the 3rd level of the CFA exam in june and would know the results in August.-

-Converting my academic scores to GPA I think they should be somewhere around 3.5

The Bad

GMAT-650

Please Advice

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 am
Dear sogmat,

Stanford, Columbia and Stern are highly selective, so you need to give them many reasons to accept and no reasons to pass on your application. Use the essays, recommendations and interview to your advantage to make your case for admission and stand out from the competition. If the only potential weakness is the GMAT, then you might be able to overcome it with an otherwise stellar application package. Having said that though, I do think you should retake the GMAT and try to get your score up. A 650 is most likely outside the mid-50% range for these schools which will put you at a disadvantage as an international applicant. I also encourage you to add some schools to your mix that are not as selective, but that offer a curriculum and resources you seek in a business program.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me