This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please evaluate my profile

by bharat.mantha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm
Hi
I am from India (aged 24)
Please suggest the best alternatives for me:
Profile:
Decent acads in High school (93 % 10th and 85 % 12th.)
Graduated from IIT Kharagpur (Mining Engg)- CGPA 7.78/10.

Got admission offer for PGP IIM Indore in 2011 but rejected it.

Work exp: Total 2.5 yrs till date and counting
1 year in Coal India Limited (as Management trainee)

Quit Coal India And co founded 2 startups in 2011 :
1) Kickice (A retail chain of frozen yogurt stores). We have currently 1 store and planning to open 1 more in the coming 1-2 weeks. Revenues generated by the first store are quite less (it was mainly estd for gauging the market) Our second store is expected to fetch a monhtly revenue of INR 1.8- 2 Lakh.

2) A waste tyre recycling unit (tyre pyrolysis). We established 4 units in 2011 end. Due to a series of accidents and machinery issues (blame China completely), we are planning to sell it off soon. But generated over INR 70 Lakh in revenues and around 20 Lakh INR in profits.

So that leads to a cumulative work experience of 3 years by the time I give GMAT in june.

Intern Experience: Did 2 internships during undergrad (one in Australia and the other in Paris= Total 5 months).

Have decent extra academics throughout schooling:
Was head of inter collegiate fest at IIT, one of the largest in India. Was involved in several student activities. Good volley ball player.

Also Founding member of a nature conservation NGO. (family founded). Very actively involved in several projects since 2001, current one being development of bio diversity park in Vizag.

Won several scholarships throughout schooling.
So that is about the profile.

Confident of scoring 700+ in GMAT.
I want to pursue MBA from one of the top 20 institutes, preferably in marketing / operations (not sure- but definitely not finance). I want to land a good job after MBA (personal resources are quite tight presently) .

Please suggest what chances of I have, with the profile i hold.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 am
Looking good.
You are an all around strong candidate, with bonuses everywhere - two entrepreneurial ventures (and successful ones) graduation from the right school (IIT, where the big schools pull the majority of Indian candidates from), plus the family-run NGO thing. All great. We'll have to see further about the strength of your professional experience, which wasn't entirely clear to me.

As I understand it, by the time you apply, you will have worked for 3 years, which means 4 by matriculation?? Sounds good to me.

Only things that are missing is for you to ace your GMAT and TOEFL. So put all your energies into that for the moment. As for mentioning specific schools, let's hold off for the moment until you get your GMAT, but in the meanwhile start looking at Top 20 schools and see which appeal to you.
Last edited by Jon@Admissionado on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm
Hi Bharat,

Looks that you've gone through roller coaster ride!! Sounds good. Your profile also seems to be quite impressive. With the given information, you can target b-schools like: LBS, Oxford, Haas, Duke, Ross, Cornell, McCombs, Tepper, Indiana-Kelley, Emory, USC-Marshall, Ohio-Fisher, ISB, NUS & Nanyang with good placement rate in marketing/operations post-MBA. The chances of being selected will depend on how you frame your application essays and showcase leadership skills during final interviews. You can also talk about your business enterprise. Try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have. You can PM your number to discuss on selection of b-schools.

Good Luck for your GMAT!!

Best,
Yash

bharat.mantha wrote:Hi
I am from India (aged 24)
Please suggest the best alternatives for me:
Profile:
Decent acads in High school (93 % 10th and 85 % 12th.)
Graduated from IIT Kharagpur (Mining Engg)- CGPA 7.78/10.

Got admission offer for PGP IIM Indore in 2011 but rejected it.

Work exp: Total 2.5 yrs till date and counting
1 year in Coal India Limited (as Management trainee)

Quit Coal India And co founded 2 startups in 2011 :
1) Kickice (A retail chain of frozen yogurt stores). We have currently 1 store and planning to open 1 more in the coming 1-2 weeks. Revenues generated by the first store are quite less (it was mainly estd for gauging the market) Our second store is expected to fetch a monhtly revenue of INR 1.8- 2 Lakh.

2) A waste tyre recycling unit (tyre pyrolysis). We established 4 units in 2011 end. Due to a series of accidents and machinery issues (blame China completely), we are planning to sell it off soon. But generated over INR 70 Lakh in revenues and around 20 Lakh INR in profits.

So that leads to a cumulative work experience of 3 years by the time I give GMAT in june.

Intern Experience: Did 2 internships during undergrad (one in Australia and the other in Paris= Total 5 months).

Have decent extra academics throughout schooling:
Was head of inter collegiate fest at IIT, one of the largest in India. Was involved in several student activities. Good volley ball player.

Also Founding member of a nature conservation NGO. (family founded). Very actively involved in several projects since 2001, current one being development of bio diversity park in Vizag.

Won several scholarships throughout schooling.
So that is about the profile.

Confident of scoring 700+ in GMAT.
I want to pursue MBA from one of the top 20 institutes, preferably in marketing / operations (not sure- but definitely not finance). I want to land a good job after MBA (personal resources are quite tight presently) .

Please suggest what chances of I have, with the profile i hold.