Please Do rate my Analysis of an Issue - My first attempt!

This topic has expert replies

Please rate the essay

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
50%
50%

Total votes: 2

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Topic: “Of all the manifestations* of power, restraint in the use of that power impresses people most.”
*manifestations: apparent signs or indicators
Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop
your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience,
observations, or reading.

The issue of people’s impression of the restraint of use of power is quite significant and worthy of observation. Although some people believe that power is best displayed, others believe the restraint in doing so is what makes the person appear actually powerful. However, after considerations of the options, I believe that restraint in the use of the power is what impresses people most.

According to Darwin’s principle of evolution, evolution in this world is defined by the survival of the fittest. The fittest, or so to say the most powerful one, will display its strength over the weaker ones and hence would lead the evolution of life. This has continued since ages in all domains. The world is so used to seeing the powerful sections display their strength and move ahead that it is more so a welcome change to see someone, who has been vested with adequate powers and still shows judicious restraint in displaying it. It shows that the person is confident of the power bestowed or attained by him/her and is aware of the implications if the same is used rashly.

Herein, I would like to take up the example of Mahatma Gandhi. He is considered as the strongest leader of the Indian Freedom Movement during the British regime. Before he entered the freedom movement, India was struggling with proxy wars with the British rulers and there were massive killings on either side, which were leading to nowhere. Mahatma Gandhi introduced a new wave of freedom fighting by introducing non-violent techniques which contradicted the display of power and emphasized on the restraint of using physical power to gain an upper hand during the freedom struggle. This simplicity, coupled with the mental toughness of this style of freedom fighting made him the leader of the masses and he went on to successfully lead the Freedom Movement of India. Even the Ruling regime of the Britishers was in awe of this and was not able to counter-back this movement effectively. The nation had vested immense power in Mahatma Gandhi and named him as the father of the nation, but Gandhi was highly judicious and restrained from using that power, thus winning over the nation.

Also, from the recent times, I would like to steer your attention to one of the pioneers of the Indian Software Industry boom, Mr. Narayan Murthy, who is the co-founder of the Indian Software Giant, Infosys Technologies Ltd. This company attained a very high status in a relatively short time span and holds a major share of the competitive Indian software market. This was possible primarily due to the vision of its founder. He is known for his marked vision, immense talent, resourcefulness, and principles, which are not just preached but very much practiced as well. But more than anything else, he is known for the restraint he uses in displaying the power, which comes with heading such a huge software giant and leads a highly simplistic and normal lifestyle. This has made him a champion in the middle class segment of India and fills them with hope that power need not corrupt one and all and a person can reach heights in his/her field and retain the simplistic essence of their lives.

In conclusion, I believe that the rampant use of power is so much prevalent in today’s world that when one encounters someone, who restrains from using it rashly, it’s a welcome relief to see this. It leads credence to the belief that one can hold one’s own and not throw their weight around on the basis of the powerful position one holds, thus making us feel that indeed power does not corrupt one and all.

Please rate my essay and let me know how i can improvise!