Please advise

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please advise

by d.himabindu10 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 am
Hi Stacy

I just gave my gmat today and got a low score :(
Can you please let me know if I can get in to the one year course of Warrington College of Business Administration, University of Florida. Following are my score details..

Q 47 ( 78 Percentile)
V 34 (68 Percentile)
Total 650 ( 79 Percentile)

I will have around four years of experience by the time I join. I scored 74.4% in my under graduation .

Also, please let me know my chances for Hult Business School as well.

And is the Katz Graduate School of Business worth considering? I read about the school in one of the forums but am not sure about its ranking.

Thanks in advance!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by jon82 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am
You should give Stacy more information so that she can properly answer your question. See her sticky post about what to include in your question:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/what-informa ... -t129.html

Good luck!
J

by d.himabindu10 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 am
Thanks Jon!

Stacy, to add on to my previos post, I am not sure how the universities calculate the gpa so I am just giving my percentage scored. In 86.6% in schooling and 74.4% in my bachelors (under graduation).

Since my graduation, I had been working as a software developer in Convergys IMG in Hyderabad, India. I joined the company as an graduate trainee and am now working as an associate program analyst. Not sure if this would help in any way, I was working as a tutor for schooling kids during my graduation.

Coming to extra curricular activities, I am a member of the cultural committee in my office. I was the chief placement coordinator in my college responsible for organizing the placement events and training programs in my college. I was a sports captain in my school.
I am a member of World Vision India organisation which helps poor children. I am also sponsoring education for a poor kid. I love travelling, though I didn't get chance to travel abroad. I travelled much of India.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:42 pm
Dear d.himabindu10,

Your score is a solid score, but it might not be high enough to be competitive based on the rest of your profile. As an IT professional from India, you are part of an over-represented profile in the global MBA applicant pool and thus you will be compared to that subset. As such, your GMAT score is low relative to other Indian IT professionals. That is where your extracurriculars and community activities can help to distinguish you from the competition. Your undergraduate GPA appears to be good and the quantity of work experience is fine, but what is the quality of your experience? have you progressed at a quick pace in your career? do you have successful leadership and teamwork experiences to write about in your essays? In terms of the schools noted in your post, these are all good institutions where you might have a chance with your current score and an otherwise outstanding application package. The Katz School is worth considering if you believe it offers what you seek in a business school. However, I do think it is possible your GMAT score and common profile might be an issue--especially if you are applying in the final round for fall 2010 entry.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by d.himabindu10 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 am
Lisa,

I am not trying for 2010 batch. I am planning to start in 2011. So, i have enough time to either retake the gmat or shape my profile to be more competitive. What do you suggest? As most of the deadlines for 2011 entry are in oct/nov, do you think retaking gmat would give me more chances or should I concentrate on my profile? Also, I don't think I can qualify for any scolarships with this score.

Please suggest...

Thank you.

Regards
Hima

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:41 pm
Dear Hima,

I think you need to both work on your profile and retake your GMAT to be competitive for these schools--especially if you want a chance at any scholarship money. It is a lot to do in the next 6-7 months, but it will be worth it to give yourself the best chance at these schools.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me