Philological Society

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Philological Society

by pareekbharat86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:16 pm
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was born.

a. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
b. would have taken more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
c. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
d. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
e. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

OA is D. I selected A.
Thanks,
Bharat.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:25 am
pareekbharat86 wrote:In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was born.

a. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
b. would have taken more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
c. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
d. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
e. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

OA is D. I selected A.
A, C and E: In 1860, the Philological Society LAUNCHED its effort to create a dictionary...although the project TOOK MORE THAN 60 YEARS TO COMPLETE.
Here, launched and took more than 60 years to complete are both in the simple past tense.
Same tense = same time frame.
The implication is that the dictionary was both launched and completed in 1860 -- not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A, C and E.

B: the Oxford English Dictionary had been born
A past perfect verb such as had been born implies an action completed BEFORE another past action.
Here, the implication is that the dictionary had been born BEFORE IT WAS LAUNCHED in 1860 -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is D.

D: although the project would take more than 60 years to complete
One purpose of would is to indicate the future-in-the-past -- an action that takes place AFTER another past action.
Here, the implication is that -- after the dictionary WAS LAUNCHED in 1860 -- it subsequently WOULD TAKE more than 60 years to complete.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3