Peter Brosnan and John Parker

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Peter Brosnan and John Parker

by jain2016 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:58 am
In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment-much of it constructed themselves-as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker located and unearthed the massive set of DeMille's epic 1923 film The Ten Commandments.

A) much of it constructed themselves-as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker

B) they constructed much of it themselves, and used clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography-Peter Brosnan and John Parker, the film enthusiasts,

C) constructing much of it themselves-and taking clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography, Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

D) they constructed much of it themselves, as well as clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography-Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

E) much of which they constructed themselves-and clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker

OAE

Hi Experts ,

I can eliminate option [spoiler]A&D because of BOTH X AS WELL Y is unidiomatic [/spoiler].

Please explain options[spoiler]B,C,& E[/spoiler]

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:14 pm
jain2016 wrote:In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment-much of it constructed themselves-as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker located and unearthed the massive set of DeMille's epic 1923 film The Ten Commandments.

A) much of it constructed themselves-as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker

B) they constructed much of it themselves, and used clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography-Peter Brosnan and John Parker, the film enthusiasts,

C) constructing much of it themselves-and taking clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography, Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

D) they constructed much of it themselves, as well as clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography-Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

E) much of which they constructed themselves-and clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker
A and D: both penetrating radar equipment...as well as clues
Here, both...as well as is unidiomatic.
Correct: both X and Y.
Eliminate A and D.

both X and Y must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.

B: both...equipment...and used
Here, equipment and used are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

C: both...equipment...and taking
Here, equipment and taking are not parallel forms.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.

OA: both...equipment...and clues
Here, equipment and clues are parallel forms.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am

C: both...equipment...and taking
Here, equipment and taking are not parallel forms.
Eliminate C.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick question,can you please advise that the uses of POSSESSIVE in option C is correct?

Please explain.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:00 am
rsarashi wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick question,can you please advise that the uses of POSSESSIVE in option C is correct?

Please explain.

Thanks.
C: film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography
The apostrophe here is correctly used, but it is attached to a rather long noun phrase (film director Cecil B. Demille).
The GMAT would probably prefer the construction in the OA (the autobiography of film director Cecil B. Demille).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3