Percentile

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Percentile

by Cybermusings » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm
Can anyone explain in detail how percentile is calculated...and to what extent to GMAT tests incorporate such questions....

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:55 pm
In general, percentile ranking is a measure of the percentage of people who score at or below a given level. So, at the 50th percentile, 50% score at or below that level. At the 75th percentile, 75% score at or below that level. And so on.

Percentile rankings are specific to one test and are used as the measure of how well any given individual did on that test.

GMAC does not publicize HOW its algorithm works (that is, how they calculate our scores and how they combine the math and verbal sub-scores to reach an overall score and percentile ranking).

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the second half of your question - are you asking whether the GMAT has test questions about the concept of percentile itself? It's not very common. You should definitely expect to see percentage questions - but you may not see anything relating to percentile.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Fri May 04, 2007 10:36 pm
Stacey I was asking about percentile questions which might appear on the GMAT Quantitative Section

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 pm
Got it. Percentile questions are rare. Percentage questions are very common.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me