oversupply of computer chips

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

oversupply of computer chips

by abcgmat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 am
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

OA: A
I ended up with two contenders(A and C). I could eliminate C as it is wordy than A, But I would like to know what is wrong with C.(other than being wordy and in Passive).

Can someone explain what is wrong with C.
As in C, which refers to plunging . It looks correct

Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply,the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 am
I posted an explanation here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-sc-t50736.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abcgmat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:53 am
Hi GmatGuruNY,

I saw your post earlier and was not very sure why C was wrong.So i posted for further clarification
You mentioned Which seems to refer to prices. But the closest Noun Plunging looks like a valid referent for which, so i didnot find anything wrong with C

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 am
IMO A
Points to note while using Because of and Due to

1. Because of /Because is used to show causal relation ship.
2. Due to can be replaced by Caused by to decipher intended meaning of the sentence

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply (modifier error)

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply (less concise than A. The sentence is passive and is less preferable on GMAT)

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply (awkward construction)

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging (unidiomatic + redundant use causal phrase)
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:54 pm
abcgmat wrote:Hi GmatGuruNY,

I saw your post earlier and was not very sure why C was wrong.So i posted for further clarification
You mentioned Which seems to refer to prices. But the closest Noun Plunging looks like a valid referent for which, so i didnot find anything wrong with C
In C, plunging is not a noun but a modifier. Just as we might say that a letter has been sent BACK, C says that prices have been sent PLUNGING. Since which cannot refer to a modifier, it must refer to prices, the closest preceding noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3