OG SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

OG SC

by Giorgio » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

This was really tough for me , OA is given as : A

Can anyone comment what's wrong with[spoiler] D?[/spoiler]

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 pm
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

Guess experts need to step in. IMHO, a controversial question. Is it really from the OG??? Even D has been cited as OA in the past

The fight is clearly between A and D

When "Due to" is used as "caused by", D makes grammatical sense but A sounds more logical to me because

A says that an "Oversupply" in the market will force the company to shut down production for 2 days, while D says that plunging prices will force the company to shut down production.

However, A has a "present perfect" problem. Clearly oversupply precedes manufacturer announcement, i don't think we can use 2 "has" here.

I will go with A because it is marginally more logical

by Giorgio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:36 am
Wow , Thanks for emphasizing that , could not notice before.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Kajiabeat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:01 am
the first issue in D, I guess, is that it is less parallel with the main clause than is A ,and there's a little change of focus from A to D.

However, are they fatal errors? OR can we say that D is just a little worse than A?

OG gives an explanation saying that D's backward time order of events is confusing, but I don't feel this reason well-standing.

Can Ron step in here?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:10 am
Giorgio wrote:Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

In D and E, due to seems to be modifying the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer was not due to plunging computer chip prices (in D) or due to an oversupply (in E), eliminate D and E.

In B, which has no clear antecedent. Eliminate B.

In C, which seems to refer to prices, but the prices did not result from an oversupply; the plunging of the prices resulted from an oversupply. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:45 am
mitch nails it, but here's some extra information on "due to".
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p29817
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:2 members

by anukrati » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:02 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Giorgio wrote:Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

In D and E, due to seems to be modifying the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer was not due to plunging computer chip prices (in D) or due to an oversupply (in E), eliminate D and E.

In C, which seems to refer to prices, but the prices did not result from an oversupply; the plunging of the prices resulted from an oversupply. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.
Hi GMATGuruNY

I was going through the explanation given in OG. Though I know that option B is not correct,I want to know one thing. OG says that "which" refers to plural "prices". As per my knowledge "which" refers to nearest sensible noun. And in option B the nearest noun is "computer chips". Can you please explain me how is "which" referring to "prices".

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 am
anukrati wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is A.
Hi GMATGuruNY

I was going through the explanation given in OG. Though I know that option B is not correct,I want to know one thing. OG says that "which" refers to plural "prices". As per my knowledge "which" refers to nearest sensible noun. And in option B the nearest noun is "computer chips". Can you please explain me how is "which" referring to "prices".
In B, which is given a singular verb (which IS), implying that which refers to a singular noun. Thus, which cannot refer to prices (plural) or to computer chips (plural). The explanation in the OG alludes to the intended meaning: since the plunging of the prices is due to an oversupply, the intention in B is that which refers to prices.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by anukrati » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:50 am
Thanks GMATGuruny

by vishal.pathak » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:14 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is A.
This is naive but I have to ask this. As far as I know, the clause preceding a comma should modify the thing after it. How is "Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging", modifying "manufacturer". We are rejecting choices in which the clause seems to modify manufacturer

Please help

Regards,
Vishal

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:39 pm
vishal.pathak wrote:This is naive but I have to ask this. As far as I know, the clause preceding a comma should modify the thing after it. How is "Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging", modifying "manufacturer". We are rejecting choices in which the clause seems to modify manufacturer

Please help

Regards,
Vishal
this principle only applies if you are dealing with a modifier that actually modifies nouns.

"because" (like its cousins "although", "despite", and many others) modifies entire clauses.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is A.
Hi Mitch,

In C you mentioned WHICH seems to refer to PRICES - My doubt is WHY it cannot refer to PLUNGING (does it act as a GERUND or ADVERB modifying 'have been sent').

IMO PLUNGING is acting a gerund here and therefore WHICH could refer to plunging as well! Is this a correct interpretation.

regards,
Patanjali

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 am
Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply
Hi Mitch,
Is this a modifier? Might sound naive but I haven't come across this kind of modifier and so this Question.
Regards,
Sach

by divineacclivity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 pm
lunarpower wrote:mitch nails it, but here's some extra information on "due to".
Just one thing, please help me understand the use of "has" in both the sentences.
e.g. Because prices have gone up, the manufacturer has announced something.
I thought the following makes more sense:
Because the prices went up, the manufacturer has announced ..

Are both equally good? Thank you very much advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 am
divineacclivity wrote:
lunarpower wrote:mitch nails it, but here's some extra information on "due to".
Just one thing, please help me understand the use of "has" in both the sentences.
e.g. Because prices have gone up, the manufacturer has announced something.
that tense ("has + VERBed") is used when the speaker/writer is looking at a past event from the present point of view. it's often used for past events that either (1) are ongoing into the present timeframe, or (2) are in the past, but have some sort of tangible effect on the present timeframe.

e.g., let's say someone played high-school football 20 years ago.
if this person was just talking to a random stranger in a bar (no direct connection to his football experience), he would just use the past tense: i played high-school football.
of the other hand, if this person was in an interview for a coaching position in high-school football, he would say i have played high-school football(, so i know the game.)
there is no difference in the timeframe of the event; the difference lies in how the event is viewed.

so, if the sentence is talking about the present effect of the price increases, "have gone" is better than "went".

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron