OG SC

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 am
one more thing you should know --

you can't combine "has + VERBed" with a specific past time at which an event happened.

for instance:
i played high-school football --> sensible (if there is no direct impact on the present)
i have played high-school football --> sensible (if there is such an impact)
i played high-school football between 1992 and 1995 --> correct
*i have played high-school football between 1992 and 1995 --> incorrect
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by BTG14 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:05 pm
Hi Ron,

I too have same doubt on time frame on above SC question.

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

has sent and has announced still look me in same time frame.

It should be like "price should plunge" first then "manufacturer should announce".

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 am
BTG14 wrote:Hi Ron,

I too have same doubt on time frame on above SC question.

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

has sent and has announced still look me in same time frame.

It should be like "price should plunge" first then "manufacturer should announce".
in short, the use of has + VERBed here signifies "past event with some tangible impact on the present". both of these things can satisfy that description, so both appear as has + VERBed.

this is certainly not the only way this sentence could be written; it just depends on context. that is, the current sentence is written from a present point of view -- but there's no good reason why it couldn't also be written from another point of view.

for instance, if we simply wish to relate both of these as past events -- without implying that either has any kind of impact on the present -- we could also write Because an oversupply of computer chips sent prices plunging, the manufacturer announced that it would cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.
(note that "will" must also be changed to "would", because now we're talking about something that was a future event from the past standpoint of the sentence.)

--

as far as the gmat is concerned, though, you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that subtle differences between tenses aren't generally tested.
if a problem relies on a difference between verb tenses, the difference is usually going to be pretty big.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by BTG14 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am
Thank you Ron..:)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by praachiee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

What is the underlined it referring to here? Can 'it' refer to a person(manufacturer), or is it referring to an oversupply or to prices? Isn't this ambiguous?

In option B: Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
Can't 'which' refer to 'plunging' which acts as a gerund here? What's wrong in this option?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 pm
praachiee wrote:Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

What is the underlined it referring to here? Can 'it' refer to a person(manufacturer), or is it referring to an oversupply or to prices?
a good rule to follow here is, "if a nine-year-old can tell which noun the pronoun stands for, then it's not ambiguous."

here, a nine-year-old would definitely be able to tell you that "it" is the manufacturer. so, no, it's not problematic.

more to the point, though - what are you doing questioning the non-underlined part of an official problem?
this is a waste of your time. GMAC's correct answers are never "wrong". don't waste your time trying to find fault with them.
Isn't this ambiguous?
if the question is "Is this official correct answer wrong?", then the answer is "no".
period.
end of story.
In option B: Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
Can't 'which' refer to 'plunging' which acts as a gerund here? What's wrong in this option?
in that choice, "plunging" is an adjective describing "prices".

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by praachiee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:32 am
Thanks Ron!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:02 pm
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating
back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:15 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Giorgio wrote:Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

This was really tough for me , OA is given as : A

Can anyone comment what's wrong with[spoiler] D?[/spoiler]
In D and E, due to seems to be modifying the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer was not due to plunging computer chip prices (in D) or due to an oversupply (in E), eliminate D and E.

In B, which has no clear antecedent. Eliminate B.

In C, which seems to refer to prices, but the prices did not result from an oversupply; the plunging of the prices resulted from an oversupply. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.
Sir what about the structure in E?
E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

I know this about the usage of with -

[Clause] + [comma]+ [with] → WITH modifies the action (verb). It answers the questions how that action was performed.
[Noun] + [Comma] + [With] → WITH Modifies the noun.

I couldn't understand what kind of structure does E has. Can we refused this option on the basis of incorrect usage of with?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Dutta » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:33 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
anukrati wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Giorgio wrote:Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

This was really tough for me , OA is given as : A

Can anyone comment what's wrong with[spoiler] D?[/spoiler]
In D and E, due to seems to be modifying the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer was not due to plunging computer chip prices (in D) or due to an oversupply (in E), eliminate D and E.

In B, which has no clear antecedent. Eliminate B.

In C, which seems to refer to prices, but the prices did not result from an oversupply; the plunging of the prices resulted from an oversupply. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.
Hi GMATGuruNY

I was going through the explanation given in OG. Though I know that option B is not correct,I want to know one thing. OG says that "which" refers to plural "prices". As per my knowledge "which" refers to nearest sensible noun. And in option B the nearest noun is "computer chips". Can you please explain me how is "which" referring to "prices".
In B, which is given a singular verb (which IS), implying that which refers to a singular noun. Thus, which cannot refer to prices (plural) or to computer chips (plural). The explanation in the OG alludes to the intended meaning: since the plunging of the prices is due to an oversupply, the intention in B is that which refers to prices.

Hi Mitch,

Can you please elaborate on Due to and Because of behaviors as modifiers?

Regards,
Sushmita

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:12 am
Dutta wrote:Hi Mitch,

Can you please elaborate on Due to and Because of behaviors as modifiers?

Regards,
Sushmita

Due to X is an ADJECTIVE.
It serves to modify a NOUN.
The cancellation was due to rain.
What KIND of cancellation?
The cancellation DUE TO RAIN.
When due to is used correctly, it can be replaced by caused by.
The cancellation was CAUSED BY rain.

Incorrect: The game was canceled due to rain.
Here, due to cannot be replaced by caused by:
The game was canceled caused by rain.
Doesn't work.

Because of X is an ADVERB.
It serves to modify a VERB.
The game was canceled because of rain.
WHY was the game canceled?
BECAUSE OF RAIN.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jabhatta » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm
patanjali.purpose wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is A.
Hi Mitch,

In C you mentioned WHICH seems to refer to PRICES - My doubt is WHY it cannot refer to PLUNGING (does it act as a GERUND or ADVERB modifying 'have been sent').

IMO PLUNGING is acting a gerund here and therefore WHICH could refer to plunging as well! Is this a correct interpretation.

regards,
Patanjali
Hi Tutors, could you please respond to this query ...

Hi Mitch,

In C you mentioned WHICH seems to refer to PRICES - My doubt is WHY it cannot refer to PLUNGING (does it act as a GERUND or ADVERB modifying 'have been sent').

IMO PLUNGING is acting a gerund here and therefore WHICH could refer to plunging as well! Is this a correct interpretation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 pm
jabhatta wrote:In C you mentioned WHICH seems to refer to PRICES - My doubt is WHY it cannot refer to PLUNGING (does it act as a GERUND or ADVERB modifying 'have been sent').
A RESULTATIVE adjective serves to express the RESULT of a preceding action.
John painted the room BLACK.
Here, black is an adjective serving to describe the room.
Question: What KIND of room?
Answer: a BLACK room.
The room is BLACK as a RESULT of the preceding action (John PAINTED).
Thus, black is a resultative adjective: an adjective serving to express the RESULT of a preceding action.

C: Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply.
Here, plunging is an adjective serving to describe prices.
Question: What KIND of prices?
Answer: PLUNGING prices.
Prices are PLUNGING as a RESULT of the preceding action (prices HAVE BEEN SENT).
Thus, plunging is a resultative adjective: an adjective serving to express the RESULT of a preceding action.

Since plunging is an adjective, it cannot serve as a referent for which.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:54 pm
Hello Everyone!

This is an incredibly difficult question, so let's dive in! We'll figure out the best way to tackle this question, and narrow down options to find the right choice! Before we start, here is the original question, with the major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply
(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

So...it's clear that just about everything is different about each option. Whenever we run across questions like this, we know we're going to have to spend some extra time on it.

After a quick glance over the options, there are a couple things we can focus on to help narrow down our options:

1. Modifiers (Make sure they're in the right place and not misleading)
2. Because / Because of / Due to (Make sure they're used correctly)

Let's take a closer look at each option and focus on those two things for now:

(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging
I don't see anything wrong with this yet. There are no modifiers, and the use of the conjunction "because" works here to clearly show cause and effect.

(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
This is INCORRECT because the modifier "which is due to an oversupply" is modifying "computer chips," which doesn't make sense. It's also not clear what "oversupply" is referring to - an oversupply of computer chips, or an oversupply of something else? So let's rule this one out!

(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply
This is INCORRECT because modifiers that start with the word "which" can ONLY modify nouns, and this one is trying to modify the verb phrase "have been sent plunging." It's also confusing to readers what the "oversupply" is - an oversupply of computer chips, or something else? If it's not 100% clear, the GMAT won't like it!

(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply
This is INCORRECT because the modifier here doesn't work. Modifiers that start with "due to" modify NOUNS, and the closest noun is "the manufacturer." The manufacturer didn't plunge the computer chip prices - the oversupply did. It's also not clear what the "oversupply" is. We found ourselves asking "and oversupply of what??" This means that things aren't 100% clear, and we can rule it out.

(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging
This is INCORRECT because it also uses a "due to" modifier incorrectly. It should be modifying the prices plunging, not the manufacturer. It's also worded awkwardly. The GMAT doesn't like overly wordy phrases like "with the result that." They recommend you use something less complex and clearer for readers.

There you go - option A is our best choice after all! It doesn't have any problems with modifiers, and everything is written as clearly and concisely as possible!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.