OMG!!..how likely to come in GMAT..Please help

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Men have an easy time deciding how to dress on Casual Fridays because all they have to do is choose khakis over dress slacks and leave off the tie they would wear during the week. Women, on the other hand, have a much more difficult time determining what is casual but not too casual. Casual Friday should, therefore, be cancelled because it presents more difficulties for women than for men.

Which of the following is most like the argument above in logical structure?

(A)Women on a road construction crew are frequently assigned non-labor intensive jobs such as holding traffic signs. This is sexual discrimination and should be stopped.

(B)Members of a country club are given first choice of tee times on the golf course. Members of the public who would like to play the course should also be given this treatment.

(C)Users of an open-source software program wishing to access to online technical support must submit personal information in order to register. Access to technical support should not require registration, as this is unfair to users wishing to remain anonymous.

(D)Full-time employees spend more hours in the office than part-time employees and have greater access to the sign-up sheet for Christmas vacation time. Because this is unfair, no employees will be given extra vacation time during Christmas.

(E)A university charges twice as much for out-of-state tuition as it does for in-state tuition. This is unfair to out-of-state students, who should be allowed to pay the in-state tuition rate.

Followed by:1 members

by champ0007 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 am
Structure - 2 entities , 2 approaches, Therefore, Cancel particular event for all

Choice D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 pm
And to answer the question "OMG!!..how likely to come in GMAT?", this kind of question has no chance of appearing on the GMAT. The format of the question is a format used on the LSAT, never on the GMAT.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 pm
My take D...what's the OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by boazkhan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:31 pm
D for me. What's the OA?

by abidshariff » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 am
Thanks Ian..that's a relief...

BTW..u guys seem to be some good fellas in CR...well done...the OA is D..But for me, this question's a nightmare.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Sanjay2706 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 pm
Yes you can find these questions on the LSAT.
However, let us concentrate on GMAT questions as of now. :)
BTW OA is D.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 pm
Ian Stewart wrote:And to answer the question "OMG!!..how likely to come in GMAT?", this kind of question has no chance of appearing on the GMAT. The format of the question is a format used on the LSAT, never on the GMAT.
I would hesitate to say that "Parallel the reasoning" type questions will NEVER appear on the GMAT. While it's true that the Official guide 12th edition has no instances of CR questions of this sort, there are RC examples (p. 365 Q16 asks the test taker to find the answer choice which follows the same logical path as a part of the passage), and the 1st edition Verbal review has a CR example as well (p. 118 Q8).

I agree that the question type is rare. And I also agree that the question above is not a very good example of the type.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com