Older installation of GMATPrep software

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Older installation of GMATPrep software

by neonite » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:18 am
Hi,

I just gave a GMATPrep exam from a GMATPrep software that was downloaded 2 years back (2008). I wanted to know if the scoring would have been different had I downloaded GMATPrep software in the more near future (say a week back).

Does anyone know if GMAT updated scoring data in the GMATPrep software?

I just want to be sure that the same performance in a newer download of the software would have given the same score.

Any inputs will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Neonite

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by btgmat_2010 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:15 am
why don't u download the latest version and retake the exam. thou shall reveal the truth.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by student22 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:41 pm
btgmat_2010 wrote:why don't u download the latest version and retake the exam. thou shall reveal the truth.
LOL, what kind of response is that? Thou shall reveal the truth? Are you for real?

Anyway, for an actual answer, according to this blog post, there are 3 different versions of the GMATPrep software (1999, 2005, and 2006 versions). Apparently there are some different questions but some overlap as well. So it seems like you have the latest build. But take a look there for more information anyway.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-pow ... 77548.html

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by btgmat_2010 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:31 pm
LOL. I didn't mean anything bad. I was just hinting that it would confirm the scores for sure. No bad intentions :)

by neonite » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:22 pm
Thanks.

Was just curious since the file sizes of the 2008 file and the one I downloaded yesterday were different.

GMAT Score:690

by FC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:44 am
student22 wrote:
btgmat_2010 wrote:why don't u download the latest version and retake the exam. thou shall reveal the truth.
LOL, what kind of response is that? Thou shall reveal the truth? Are you for real?

Anyway, for an actual answer, according to this blog post, there are 3 different versions of the GMATPrep software (1999, 2005, and 2006 versions). Apparently there are some different questions but some overlap as well. So it seems like you have the latest build. But take a look there for more information anyway.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-pow ... 77548.html
Just correcting your post, there are TWO GmatPreps released by Pearson:

- Version 1.2, the current one;
- Version 1.0, released in 2005.

The other simulator is the POWERPREP released by ETS in 1999 and completely different from GMATPREP.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 am
Received a PM asking for a reply.

I know that they do periodically update the question pool. I would assume that they also periodically adjust the scoring scale to match changes that have occurred on the real test, but I don't know for sure. I would guess that there have been at least minor changes to the pool of questions in 2 years, and possibly minor changes to the scoring scale as well. I would expect any scoring scale changes to be relatively minor, though.

One thing you could check: did you write down the precise numbers of the subscores you received? For the version you have, is it showing just your scaled subscores, or is it also showing you percentiles? If it's showing both, take a look at this chart to see whether the numbers are still the same:
https://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/GMATScor ... gMeans.htm
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me