Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40 percent experienced sweaty palms, 30 percent experienced vomiting, and 75 percent experienced dizziness. If all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35 percent of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects, how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects?

A. 105
B. 125
C. 130
D. 180
E. 195

OAD

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm
rsarashi wrote:Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40 percent experienced sweaty palms, 30 percent experienced vomiting, and 75 percent experienced dizziness. If all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35 percent of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects, how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects?

A. 105
B. 125
C. 130
D. 180
E. 195

OAD
Hi rsarashi,

This is a typical question based on the application of Venn diagram.

Pl. find the formula for overlapping sets.

S or V or Z = S + V + Z - [(S and V) + (S and Z) +(V and Z)] - 2*(S and V and Z);

Total number of participants = S + V + Z - Participants who experienced only two effects - 2*Participants who experienced all the three effects

Where,

S or V or Z = The total number of participated = 300; since it is given that AT LEAST one participants experienced one of the three effects, S or V or Z = 300. Otherwise, we would have to deduct the number of those who did not experience any of the three effects.

S = Number of participants who experienced sweaty palms;

V = Number of participants who experienced vomiting;

Z = Number of participants who experienced dizziness

Since the data are in percents, we would deal with percent figure and then would take into account the actual number of participants = 300

We have,

Total number of participants = S + V + Z - Participants who experienced only two effects - 2*Participants who experienced all the three effects

=> 100 = 40 + 30 + 75 - 35 - 2*Participants who experienced all the three effects

=> Participants who experienced all the three effects = 5%

Thus, we have,

Participants who experienced only two effects = 35%

Participants who experienced all the three effects = 5%

Thus, Participants who experienced only one of the three effects = 100% - 35% - 5% = 60%

Or, Participants who experienced only one of the three effects = 300*(60/100) = 180.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Sets & Statistics Guide

-Jay

Locations: Manila | Melbourne | Hong Kong | Vienna | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced TOEFL Prep Advisor! Click here.