Nursing Schools

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Nursing Schools

by sunraysb4u » Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 pm
Can somebody please let me know the OA for the below CR .Thanks

Nursing schools cannot attract a greater number of able applicants than they currently do unless the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions in the nursing profession are solved. If the pool of able applicants to nursing school does not increase beyond the current level, either the profession will have to lower its entrance standards, or there will soon be an acute shortage of nurses. It is not certain, however, that lowering entrance standards will avert a shortage. It is clear that with either a shortage of nurses or lowered entrance standards of the profession, the current high quality of health care cannot be maintained.
Which one of the following can be property inferred from the passage?

(A) If the nursing profession solves the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions, it will attract able applicants in greater numbers than it currently does.

(B) The nursing profession will have to lower its entrance standards if the pool of able applicants to nursing school does not increase beyond the current level.

(C) If the nursing profession solves the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions, high quality health care will be maintained.

(D) If the nursing profession fails to solve the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions, there will soon be an acute shortage of nurses.

(E) The current high quality of health care will not be maintained if the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions in the nursing profession are not solved.
Ravi

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:650

by California4jx » Wed May 20, 2009 3:44 pm
answer is (E) as its sums up the argument.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 pm
IMO - A

B - Cannot be true as Nursing homes have 2 options
C - Cannot be true as there may be other factors that contribute towards high quality of health care (not just nursing profession)
D - Cannot be true there are 2 options, if not first option, nursing home has an option to reduce the standards
E - This is tricky one to eliminate as it seems to sum up the argument. But I think A seems to be a direct hit than this.

by lav » Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 pm
I guess this ques is from OG 11ed
wats the ans and source ??

has been discussed before ( OA not given here also )
https://www.beatthegmat.com/nursing-scho ... 36416.html
Kid in Verbal :(

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:48 pm
I think E is the best in this case.