Need profile evaluation and Target Schools!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Need profile evaluation and Target Schools!

by aakaps » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:45 pm
Hi Stacy,

I am putting my profile below as well as kind of schools I want to get into. I have a short list of schools, so listing them as well.

Citizen : India
Graduated in: Computer Science & Engineering 2003
GPA : 3.7 ( I scaled highest score in my University as 4, so my 75% calculates to 3.7)
GMAT : 700+ (writing the GMAT on 21st)
Work Experience: One small Software product company for 6 months immediately from college, 6.5 Years in a big software service provider(Offshoring)
Short Term Career Interest: Upper Hierarchy in IT Company. Preferably IT marketing.

Long Term Career Interest: Own IT Company.

What I want from a B School MBA:
Academic : Want to Learn nitty gritty of business for my own shop. More hands on experience will be preferred.
Social : Want to experience a great student life. Coming from international background, want a school where I am accepted and can have fun. Looking for a school with cooperative as well as competitive students.
Repute: Should be a top 10 school. Learning from some high repute professors who can be tapped upon later is desirable.
Network : Seek a school which I love and is loved by alumni so they are well-knit and can be tapped later on in life.

My USP:
Leadership: Quick rise in responsibilites. Leading teams of varied sizes since last 5 years. Gained respect and admiration from all folks who reported to me. This is the major area of interest as I think bigger and greater companies are set and run by leaders rather than managers.
Recommendations: Can have excellent recommendations from my last 3 bosses. Citing leadership, comaradarie, spirit to get things done, proactiveness and street-smartness.
Work Achievements:
Have led teams to a successful and enriching $2.5M IT Project at a high-speed agile implementation.
Great teamwork and leading example to enable the company winning the client contract of $2.5 M from a rival company.
Mentored and groomed lot of freshers. Mentored 3 of my companies first US College Hirees. Friends with them still.
Great Reviews from clients and company. 6 Client awards for excellence in service provided.
Best Initiative award for 2009 1st quarter
Excellence award for 2009 1st quarter.
Established new accounts at 2 new clients. Working on 3rd client. Recognised as one of the best to establish a new multi-million dollar account.
Extra-curricular: Organising Office parties,excursions. College level numerous awards for participation and organising events. Debating champion.
Hobbies: Rock climbing for couple of years. Shifted from base location so havent been able to pursue since last year. Reading. Love to trek and enjoy Nature.
Family background: 3rd out of 4 brothers. First person in the family to graduate from a regular college. First person in my family to get out of my hometown.
Drawbacks:
Community Service only specific to my town. I have been active member of youth clubs helping and generating money for the needy in India.
0 Community service in the US. Have been part of generating money for some drives. Hosted some events to bring immigrants upto speed with US culture(mainly indian fresh off the boat)
Had a two year gap in education after I passed out high school in 1997. Worked in family business due to financial conditions from 1997-1999, before joining my engineering school.

Schools I like till now: Stanford, Kellog, Ross and Yale. Thinking of Duke as a safety school.

Please let me know your thoughts!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm
Dear aakaps,

Without knowing your GMAT score, it is hard to comment on your profile for your target schools. Assuming you will score in the 700s as indicated, I do think you have a shot at Stanford, Kellogg, Ross, Yale and Duke. You have some good work experience, a good GPA and realistic career goals. Good luck on your GMAT and happy writing!

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by aakaps » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 am
Well I did score exactly 700 today. (49-Quant and 35 verbal). Do you think I should rewrite GMAT or plan on the applications for the schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:54 pm
Dear aakaps,

Congratulations on your score! If you want to hit first round deadlines, then I think you need to focus on your essays. While your score is still a little below the average for your target schools, you have other evidence in your profile of your academic aptitude. If you are planning for round 2 and you think you can increase your score at least 20 points, then it might be worth a retake.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me