Need help with B-school Shortlisting

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help with B-school Shortlisting

by prash1638 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:05 am
Hi,
Need advice/opinion on shortlisting B-schools. My list only includes schools which have a loan without US based co-signor. That's why Columbia is not there.

My profile : GMAT: 720/5.5 yrs work-ex/Media & Entertainment/3.8 GPA (UG)+Masters from a premium communication School of the country(India)

Career Interest : Media & Entertainment
Geographical preferences : New York/LA/London

My wish list :
Stretch-Wharton,Kellogg, HBS,MIT,LBS
Reach-UCLA,NYU,Duke

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 pm
The information you've submitted indicates that you have a strong profile. You didn't mention career progression or any special skills/interests however you will need to think of these areas for your actual application. I think most of your stretch schools are within your reach. Finally, you may want to reconsider Duke because it may not provide you with the Media/Entertainment networking opportunities you will need to jumpstart your new career.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re:B-school shortlisting

by prash1638 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 pm
Thanks Scottie,I have been promoted 3 times in 4.5 yrs with both compensation and responsibility increase. I worked with Newscorp TV company(Biggest in Asia).My work involved selling TV channels to Distribution platforms like Cable companies,DTH and IPTV. I am now with a new TV venture in strategy profile and we are working on a Triple play project in TV space.My extracurricular are above average.

Do you agree with my choice of schools? would you like to delete/add any? I picked Fuqua because its a partner school for mbamec "media and entertainment conference".

[quote="VP_MBA Expert"]The information you've submitted indicates that you have a strong profile. You didn't mention career progression or any special skills/interests however you will need to think of these areas for your actual application. I think most of your stretch schools are within your reach. Finally, you may want to reconsider Duke because it may not provide you with the Media/Entertainment networking opportunities you will need to jumpstart your new career.[/quote]