Need Help in Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need Help in Profile Evaluation

by Nachiket » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am
Hey Experts,

Please evaluate my profile and suggest list of B-schools which you think are suitable for my profile :-

Below are the Highlights of my Profile:

Pool: Indian/Male/IT , Currently working as a Project Lead with Cognizant Technology Solutions in India

GMAT: 670, Q49, V 32, IR 5, AWA: 5

GPA: 7/10, Bachelors in Engineering from a reputed college in India.

Work Experience: Total 6.5 years of work ex in the IT industry. Have worked with IT giants such as Accenture, Amdocs and Cognizant.

Below are key highlights of my Work-Ex:

"¢ Have received timely promotions and top ratings at Cognizant and Accenture.
"¢ Possess expertise in Data Analytics, Data Migration and Reporting.
"¢ Gained exposure to various business domains such as Telecom, Travel & Life Sciences.
"¢ Received client appreciations at numerous instances.
"¢ Managing a team of more than 10 people and contributing heavily on the Project Delivery, Resource Management & Risk Management front.
"¢ Possess international client site experience of ensuring smooth delivery of the project for a period of 6 months.
"¢ Have received many rewards and recognition awards at each of the 3 organizations worked

Extra-Curricular activities:

"¢ Was part of a community (@Accenture) which works at providing assistance to the new joiners in the organization.
"¢ Contributing heavily in social work activities for underprivileged children as part of 'OutReach program' @ cognizant.
"¢ Organized events at the cultural fest in college and received recognition for the same.

Business skills :- I can lay emphasis on the business knowledge gained in various domains such as Telecom, Travel and Life Sciences during my 6.5 yrs of tenure in IT industry

Leadership & teamwork experience : I can showcase the leadership traits exhibited as a Project Lead cognizant ( my current organization) for 1.5 yrs which includes in areas such as :-

i) Project Management & Delivery
ii) Resource Management
iii) Risk Management
iv) Leading a team of more than 10 people for last 1.5 yrs

International exp : I have a limited 6 months of international experience at client location. Can bring out some positives out of that.

Career Goals: I want to pursue a career specifically in IT Business Consulting.

Pls. advise which all B-schools should I be targeting and have a good chance of admission considering my GMAT score and overall work experience profile ?

Regards,
Nachiket Gupta
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 pm
As posted on another board...

Thanks for posting. You've got some solid work experience, and the team lead experience is a plus certainly. That said, as I've just posted to others ;), there are so many Indian IT and engineering applicants to b-school.... it can be challenging to stand out from the crowd, and it's quite a competitive group with high average GMAT scores. I'm not sure if you would consider trying the GMAT again-- schools take the highest score and it's quite common to take it more than once, fyi. At present I'd probably look outside the top 20-25 or so schools for better chances, fyi. In terms of specific schools, it really depends on a lot of factors-- location, urban vs suburban or more rural setting, class size, specializations, employment statistics, etc. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Additionally-- dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

Good luck on the process!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:53 am
Nachiket wrote:Hey Experts,

Please evaluate my profile and suggest list of B-schools which you think are suitable for my profile :-

Below are the Highlights of my Profile:

Pool: Indian/Male/IT , Currently working as a Project Lead with Cognizant Technology Solutions in India

GMAT: 670, Q49, V 32, IR 5, AWA: 5

GPA: 7/10, Bachelors in Engineering from a reputed college in India.

Work Experience: Total 6.5 years of work ex in the IT industry. Have worked with IT giants such as Accenture, Amdocs and Cognizant.

Below are key highlights of my Work-Ex:

"¢ Have received timely promotions and top ratings at Cognizant and Accenture.
"¢ Possess expertise in Data Analytics, Data Migration and Reporting.
"¢ Gained exposure to various business domains such as Telecom, Travel & Life Sciences.
"¢ Received client appreciations at numerous instances.
"¢ Managing a team of more than 10 people and contributing heavily on the Project Delivery, Resource Management & Risk Management front.
"¢ Possess international client site experience of ensuring smooth delivery of the project for a period of 6 months.
"¢ Have received many rewards and recognition awards at each of the 3 organizations worked

Extra-Curricular activities:

"¢ Was part of a community (@Accenture) which works at providing assistance to the new joiners in the organization.
"¢ Contributing heavily in social work activities for underprivileged children as part of 'OutReach program' @ cognizant.
"¢ Organized events at the cultural fest in college and received recognition for the same.

Business skills :- I can lay emphasis on the business knowledge gained in various domains such as Telecom, Travel and Life Sciences during my 6.5 yrs of tenure in IT industry

Leadership & teamwork experience : I can showcase the leadership traits exhibited as a Project Lead cognizant ( my current organization) for 1.5 yrs which includes in areas such as :-

i) Project Management & Delivery
ii) Resource Management
iii) Risk Management
iv) Leading a team of more than 10 people for last 1.5 yrs

International exp : I have a limited 6 months of international experience at client location. Can bring out some positives out of that.

Career Goals: I want to pursue a career specifically in IT Business Consulting.

Pls. advise which all B-schools should I be targeting and have a good chance of admission considering my GMAT score and overall work experience profile ?

Regards,
Nachiket Gupta
Hi Nachiket,

B-Schools takes into consideration all parts of your profile (GMAT, work experience, extracurricular activities, international exposure). It depends how you bring out all your qualities and skills on your application. On the basis of your profile , you can target schools like Indiana University (Kelley)-Bloomington, Arizona State University (Carey) , Michigan State University (Broad). You can also target Carnegie Mellon(Tepper) on the more competitive side.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you would need any further information and we would be happy to help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:56 am
Just a note that manyaabroadtpr is not associated with mbaMission; this is the 'Ask mbaMission' board fyi. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nachiket » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:42 am
mbaMissionJenK wrote:As posted on another board...

Thanks for posting. You've got some solid work experience, and the team lead experience is a plus certainly. That said, as I've just posted to others ;), there are so many Indian IT and engineering applicants to b-school.... it can be challenging to stand out from the crowd, and it's quite a competitive group with high average GMAT scores. I'm not sure if you would consider trying the GMAT again-- schools take the highest score and it's quite common to take it more than once, fyi. At present I'd probably look outside the top 20-25 or so schools for better chances, fyi. In terms of specific schools, it really depends on a lot of factors-- location, urban vs suburban or more rural setting, class size, specializations, employment statistics, etc. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Additionally-- dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

Good luck on the process!
Hey Thanks for your evaluation !!

So can we say that schools such as Foster,University of Illinois-Urbana,UT-Dallas,Smeal-Penn state are good to apply with this score and my overall work experience profile ?
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:06 pm
Sounds reasonable based upon what you've shared here. Good luck, let us know how we can help!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]