This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need help and advice

by stdance18 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 am
Hi,

I prepare the gmat for the 23th of september,
as I want to apply for the best b school i will need a good score, the thing
is i left school more than 6 years
I am desapointed because I make a first test who said I am between 430 and 530 and two week after I make an other test on mba.com who said I score 230 !!!! I work with a teacher 3 time per week and work by myself the orther day, i see my progress but i'm little bit decouraged because i just just feel its just feel its my math review and my grammar who is really bad, and with the time, i don't know how to organize it ?
what could I do ? the thing is I am french I want study in states so is it possible to pply in the second round or I have to apply in the first round absolutely ?
Audrey

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm
What was the break down of your scores. Plz don't take my reply negatively. I will try to be frank, as I think that will help you most. I read your post and this is what I feel:

You need some very serious work on your verbal. You will need more than just what people do when they prepare for verbal. You need to overhaul your language from the ground up. It will take time and efforts but it is not impossible. Start reading and seeing how sentences are being formed. Read a lot. I am not a grammar, I did not know how to distinguish a noun from a verb and neither am I a native. I still scored a 35 on my first GMATprep without any preparation all because of my reading. Get english lessons first to sort out the language, it will really help you.

I can't comment on you quant because I could see an example of your verbal in the post but not the quant. Quant can be worked upon, get the MGMAT set and start working on the basics. It will grow automatically.

I hope you get some experts to comment on your thread. I am not an expert but I thought I should share my views with you.

I hope it helps!!
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

by stdance18 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 am
Thanks for your answer, My teacher said that my english is good, I know and I think I need a big review on grammar rules, the thing is when you left school many years ago it's hard to restart and they thing in math who just feel like you never see them lol. I just want to be really efficient by myself in complement to the work with the teacher, but they are many thing to review i don't where to start

My books:
OG 10
OG 12+ verbal+ quant
gmat math workbook kaplan
Manhattan CR compehension, foundation verbal, advanced quantitative
Craking the gmat 2011, 2005
gmat for dummies lol
Grammar book

this all te book I have

Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 pm
stdance18 wrote:Hi,

I prepare the gmat for the 23th of september,
as I want to apply for the best b school i will need a good score, the thing
is i left school more than 6 years
I am desapointed because I make a first test who said I am between 430 and 530 and two week after I make an other test on mba.com who said I score 230 !!!! I work with a teacher 3 time per week and work by myself the orther day, i see my progress but i'm little bit decouraged because i just just feel its just feel its my math review and my grammar who is really bad, and with the time, i don't know how to organize it ?
what could I do ? the thing is I am french I want study in states so is it possible to pply in the second round or I have to apply in the first round absolutely ?
Audrey
Hey Audrey

Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and that would take you less than 2-3 months. It all depends on your potential really.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at [email protected]

Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:06 am
Hi

Most of the univ's in states got rolling admission so you can apply in the second round, I understand that your prep with a tutor but to me it never worked so i cant help much in that...

I would say you know where you are lacking at and how much further you want to go...So as i said in my earlier post get good books review them well make sure you write it that what all you have learned every day and then start solving ques....

I am sure you gonna make big this time...

Chaw
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html

by stdance18 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Hi, Thank you so much do you think manhattan gmat set is really good for be confident on basic, I really think its that i need and do you think I need to buy them because i've got lot of books now ?

Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:12 pm
I believe manhattan is very good for verbal specially in SC, but for quant i read kaplan.....so yeah manhattan is good choice..
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html