need analysis. Gmat in another 10 days. Need advice

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
I got average 600, 680 and 640 in MGMAT preps. From yesterday I started giving gmat preps, I am suprised that I am getting 450, 410 and right now 320. I am totally crushed what to do. I have exam in another 10 days. pls advice what i need to do. quant varies from 23 to 40 and verbal also varies from 12-19. Pls suggest what I need to do.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 pm
alltimeacheiver wrote:I got average 600, 680 and 640 in MGMAT preps. From yesterday I started giving gmat preps, I am suprised that I am getting 450, 410 and right now 320. I am totally crushed what to do. I have exam in another 10 days. pls advice what i need to do. quant varies from 23 to 40 and verbal also varies from 12-19. Pls suggest what I need to do.
alltimeachiever, the variance in your score may be disheartening. if you can, you should pay the $50 to push back your exam date ($50 until 1 week before, then it is $250) until you have a better gauge of your abilities. that much variance (especially downward) is not reassuring - you should know your strengths and weakness by now.

if you must take it in 10 days, you need to figure out what topics you aren't scoring well on and improve them the best that you can.
Class of 2016 - Business School Candidate

Click here to see how I Beat The GMAT!

by alltimeacheiver » Wed May 11, 2011 10:53 pm
Hi MGMAT experts

Can anyone of them pls share some of ur inputs

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:730

by itheenigma » Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 am
alltimeachiever,

I too agree with havok on this.
Based on my research, MGMAT scores don't vary with GMAT Prep scores by such large margins. Something's happening with your test scores, and the onus is on you to figure out what it is before the actual exam.
Please forgive me if you think what I say appears rude to you. But ask yourself this. If the MGMAT instructors tell you to take the exam based on the MGMAT scores, are you confident enough in your preparations and strategy to ignore the GMAT prep scores? If yes, then by all means,take the GMAT!

by alltimeacheiver » Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm
to be honest of all everything. I always find MGMAT tests eassier than Gmat Preps. I dont know it is effect of screen or something a havoc which is residing inside me. I do lots of silly mistakes while attempting Gmat preps. Something psychological happening with me last I can say. Somethimes I miss out to apply basics also. I know everything but I miss something while giving gmat preps

what else God knows what lies behind inside. But I am mentally prepared that If I flug in Gmat , I will give another attempt for sure. BTG is such a good site that I ever seen. I really wants to say thanks to every instructor for guiding me and helping me.

sonica

Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm
Sounds like test anxiety, a common problem. If the actual act of writing the GMAT is causing you a lot of anxiety, so much so, that its debilitating, then try breathing exercises. Learn to breath slowly and deeply to reduce nervous energy. It really sounds corny, but it does work! Sometimes, I will even take 5 seconds before each question to close my eyes, wipe the previous question from my mind, take a deep breath using my diaphragm, and open my eyes to a new question, and really, a new opportunity to improve my score. Attitude man! No fear.

Please, since this is an old post, let us all know how it went. This was posted a while back, so hopefully you are still kicking around, and can debrief us on your experience.