Need advice on profile building for GMAT

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need advice on profile building for GMAT

by kumankit » Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 am
Hi BeatTheGmat,

I need some counselling regarding my profile for MBA. I'm aiming for the Top 10 international B-Schools. I'm planning to give my GMAT this year. I need guidance regarding how to proceed on this front.
My current profile is as follows :

Experience : 10 months as Software Engineer at SAP Labs

Educational :
B.E. Information Technology From 'Birla Institute Of Technology,Mesra,Ranchi'.
CGPA : 7.4 (first class with distinction)
Department Rank : 7th of 43

10th : 89.4% (CBSE)
12th : 88.4% (CBSE)

Achievements :
National Finalist for 'National Level Young Talent Search In Computer Programming' Contest 2007, conducted by Computer Society Of India.
Secured 2nd position in Science Olympiad at QUANTA International 2007, organised at CMS Lucknow, with participants from around the globe.
Selected among top 15 teams representing India at International Youth Mathematics Convocation 2005, organised at CMS Lucknow.
Won several competitions for singing, oratory and dramatics at school level.

Extra - Curricular Activities:

Served as the Student Placement Coordinator for Training and Placement Cell, BIT MESRA for 2011-12.
Served as the Technical Head of the prestigious Literary Society (2011-'12), B.I.T. MESRA.
Member of the esteemed music club B.I.T. MESRA.
Served as House Captain in school for the session 2006-07.
Actively involved with the international NGO 'Make A Wish Foundation' Bangalore division, to fulfill wishes of children with life threatening diseases.

Languages :
English (Fluent), Hindi(Native), Spanish (Basic)

Certifications :
Basic Level Certification in Spanish.
Foundation Level Certification by ISTQB.

Kindly let me know the score I should aim to help me secure a call from the schools described. Also what improvements can I make to further strengthen my profile.

Thanks & Regards

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:49 am
Hi Kumankit,
If you're looking at the top 10 B-Schools, you would need an outstanding GMAT score. Your CGPA in graduation is low. You will have to make up for that in terms of your extracurricular activities. When you write your application essay, try to emphasize the results you achieved in the leadership role in the committees and clubs, you have mentioned. As a software engineer of SAP, look for leadership opportunities in teams and try to achieve significant results.
You could also have an entrepreneurship stint or association with a NGO to demonstrate multi-tasking ability. Do online research regularly about the admission criteria and requirements in the candidates by top B-Schools.

Best of luck!
www.interviewbay.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by abhi0syal » Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 am
Hi

1. Extracurricular - there's no demontstrated passion or initiative -continuous one!

2. Work Experience - what is the impact? Are you better than your peers? how?

- let me know.
Abhishek

[email protected]

[email protected]

School Selection & Applicant Positioning
www.aastrategy.com/mba-for-leaders