My chances at HAAS with 650?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

My chances at HAAS with 650?

by mbamike » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:22 am
Hi,

I got a low GMAT score of 650 today, Q47 and V33. I have BS in EE from a top 10 school in India, MS in Computer Engineering from Rutgers University with GPA 3.55, 6 years of work experience in Fortune 100 company as a Senior Engineer. I also have 4 IEEE publications and a good background in research.

What are my chances of admission as HAAS?

I know retaking GMAT is one option but since I want to apply for Fall 2009, I may not have enough time for it.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:34 am
Dear mbamike,

Haas is probably a bit of a stretch for you with your current profile. You will have a similar profile to a large group in the applicant pool--only many of them will have GMAT scores over 700. If Haas is your number one choice, then you should still apply. However, it is imperative that you present a compelling case for admission and convey why you should be one of the few folks at the bottom/outside the mid-80% range for the GMAT to be offered a seat in the class. If you haven't already, you might also apply to 1-2 schools that are more of a safety option for you.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mbamike » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:08 am
Thanks Lisa for your response.

I was timed out on the last question in the verbal section. I know there is a significant penalty on leaving questions unanswered, I wanted to get a rough idea on how many points I would have lost there just so as to evaluate my chances of getting a better score next time should I decide to retake the exam.

Appreciate your advice!