mov

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

mov

by maihuna » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:32 am
Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards, could be seen by children without parental guidance.

Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,

Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,

Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards

Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,

Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:46 am
I picked B,

C (complying with seems to modify 1980's) & D (in which) have modifier issues.

E has a independent clause and subordinate clause connected by a comma, but needs to be rewritten. a "that" before complying would have worked. "could be seen by children without parental guidance" is modifying the films, but is far away from the noun it modifies.

out of A and B, i think having a compliance is wordy.
Therefore picked B.

OA and OE plz.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:08 pm
pandeyvineet24 wrote:I picked B,

C (complying with seems to modify 1980's) & D (in which) have modifier issues.

E has a independent clause and subordinate clause connected by a comma, but needs to be rewritten. a "that" before complying would have worked. "could be seen by children without parental guidance" is modifying the films, but is far away from the noun it modifies.

out of A and B, i think having a compliance is wordy.
Therefore picked B.

OA and OE plz.
I picked C. Not sure if 'complying..' modifies 1980's coz verb + ing has to modify subject & verb. Not sure about C though coz there is no verb before comma + complying