Monroe

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Monroe

by madhur_ahuja » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 pm
Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly enjoyed the three meals he ate at the Tip-Top Restaurant, but, unfortunately, after each meal he became ill. The first time he ate an extra-large sausage pizza with a side order of hot pepper; the second time he took full advantage of the all-you-can-eat fried shrimp and hot peppers special; and the third time he had two of Tip-Top’s giant meatball sandwiches with hot peppers. Since the only food all three meals had in common was the hot peppers. Monroe concludes that it is solely due to Tip-Top’s hot peppers that he became ill.

20. Monroe’s reasoning is most vulnerable to which one of the following criticisms?

(A) He draws his conclusion on the basis of too few meals that were consumed at Tip-Top and that included hot peppers.

(B) He posits a causal relationship without ascertaining that the presumed cause preceded the presumed effect.

(C) He allows his desire to continue dining at Tip-Top to bias his conclusion.

(D) He fails to establish that everyone who ate Tip-Top’s hot peppers became ill.

(E) He overlooks the fact that at all three meals he consumed what was, for him, an unusually large quantity of food.

21. If both Monroe’s conclusion and the evidence on which he bases it are correct, they would provide the strongest support for which one of the following?

(A) Monroe can eat any of Tip-Top’s daily all-you-can-eat specials without becoming ill as long as the special does not include the hot peppers.

(B) If, at his third meal at Tip-Top, Monroe had chosen to eat the baked chicken with hot peppers, he would have become ill after that meal.

(C) If the next time Monroe eats one of Tip-Top’s extra-large sausage pizzas he does not have a side order of hot peppers, he will not become ill after his meal.

(D) Before eating Tip-Top’s fried shrimp with hot peppers special, Monroe had eaten fried shrimp without suffering any ill effects.

(E) The only place Monroe has eaten hot peppers has been at Tip-Top.

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 pm
20) E
21) B

by riteshbindal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 am
20 - E
21 - D

OA plz.

Followed by:1 members

by perfectstranger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:57 am
E
A

What's the OA?
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

by madhur_ahuja » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 am
OA : E , B

by riteshbindal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:10 am
20 - E
21 - B

OA plz.

I think I was pretty sleepy when I wrote the answers initially. Today morning after getting up, I read the question again and changed the answer for 20. It should definitely be C.
Let me explain why:

(A) Monroe can eat any of Tip-Top’s daily all-you-can-eat specials without becoming ill as long as the special does not include the hot peppers.
---It is not given anywhere that "all" the things in Tip - Top are good except hot pepper. The comparison is just done among 3 meals which monroe had. So this is INCORRECT.

(B) If, at his third meal at Tip-Top, Monroe had chosen to eat the baked chicken with hot peppers, he would have become ill after that meal.
---- CORRECT. hot peppers at Tip Top means he will be ill :)

(C) If the next time Monroe eats one of Tip-Top’s extra-large sausage pizzas he does not have a side order of hot peppers, he will not become ill after his meal.
----This is INCORRECT. Monroe never had sausage pizza at tip top without hot pepper. SO you never know what will happen :D

(D) Before eating Tip-Top’s fried shrimp with hot peppers special, Monroe had eaten fried shrimp without suffering any ill effects.
-----This is what I fell for when I was sleepy. This is providing support for the evidence and conclusion. However evidence and conclusion are not providing support for this :) INCORRECT

(E) The only place Monroe has eaten hot peppers has been at Tip-Top.
----Out of scope INCORRECT

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:30 pm
E is the most suitable option in this case.