Monastries

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Monastries

by komal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:52 pm
Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.
(A) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries
(B) like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders
(C) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library
(D) like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts
(E) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts

OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm
IMO A
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 pm
What is wrong with D?
komal wrote:Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.
(A) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries
(B) like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders
(C) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library
(D) like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts
(E) while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts

OA A

Legendary Member

by komal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm
reply2spg wrote:What is wrong with D?
OA A
[/quote]

I'll post the Official Explanation after a few discussions.

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:35 pm
In A comparison clause (Like clause) is not close to monasteries. however, in D it is close then what is the issue? Is 'while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts' modifies to 'modern libraries'?
reply2spg wrote:What is wrong with D?
komal wrote:Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

OA A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by bigmonkey31 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 pm
what's the source?

I thought 'like modern libraries' needs to be as close to possible to monasteries. Maybe it'd be okay if it were "acting like libraries"

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 pm
I am sure it must be Kaplan.....
bigmonkey31 wrote:what's the source?

I thought 'like modern libraries' needs to be as close to possible to monasteries. Maybe it'd be okay if it were "acting like libraries"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gauravgundal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm
Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

IMO A.

Reason
Just have a look at the sentence carefully .
The modifier "while clearly less accessible to outsiders" talks above the Early medieval monasteries . This may not be applicable to modern libraries.
So the modifier "while clearly less accessible to outsiders" must be close to "Early medieval monasteries"
So B and D are out .

Now we know when to use like and as ,Like is use for comparing nouns.
so C is out and also the "modern library" is singular in C answer choice as against the "Early medieval monasteries"
Left with A and E
E : Awkward and also the use of like is not applicable here,as we are trying to compare 'act' of two things using like .. not possible.

so finally we are left with correct answer A

Legendary Member

by komal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 pm
reply2spg wrote:I am sure it must be Kaplan.....
bigmonkey31 wrote:what's the source?

Yes the source is kaplan 800

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:33 am
At first, i opted for D. But thanks a lot for your excellent explanation gaurav. I'd go for A too now

:-)

But i
gauravgundal wrote:Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

IMO A.

Reason
Just have a look at the sentence carefully .
The modifier "while clearly less accessible to outsiders" talks above the Early medieval monasteries . This may not be applicable to modern libraries.
So the modifier "while clearly less accessible to outsiders" must be close to "Early medieval monasteries"
So B and D are out .

Now we know when to use like and as ,Like is use for comparing nouns.
so C is out and also the "modern library" is singular in C answer choice as against the "Early medieval monasteries"
Left with A and E
E : Awkward and also the use of like is not applicable here,as we are trying to compare 'act' of two things using like .. not possible.

so finally we are left with correct answer A

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 am

OA A
A is very correct

See here the first comma with "while clearly less accessible to outsiders" is used to describe medieval monasteries
and

an comparison is given by , like modem libraries.

so it has to be A ....
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

by Rajat Khandelwal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:07 am
Why not C?

In A : it seems that texts are compared with modern libraries..aint it?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 am
we are comparing monasteries - plural . hence , it should be modern libraries

but in C it uses a single monastery.

Hence C is wrong.

Hope this helps :)
Rajat Khandelwal wrote:Why not C?

by Rajat Khandelwal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 am
@ bhumika...

But it should not b problem....In option C we are not comparing the nouns.....rather we are comparing two clauses....As we are using "As"..

......as does the modern library : it means that " AS THE MODERN LIBRARY SERVES" Aint it?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:we are comparing monasteries - plural . hence , it should be modern libraries

but in C it uses a single monastery.

Hence C is wrong.

Hope this helps :)
Rajat Khandelwal wrote:Why not C?

yeah bhumika you are correct here monasteries is being compared with modern libraries...
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.