Low AWA and Low IR

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Low AWA and Low IR

by mqt001 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:08 pm
I recently received my full score GMAT score report and was surprised to discover that I scored quite low on the AWA and IR. I posted a 3 in both categories. I was especially surprised by the AWA score. I realize that these scores are sub-par, but how will this impact my overall chances of admission? My overall score is a 680 (39Q,44V), and most of the schools to which I am applying are ranked in the top 25 - 50 range. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

Low AWA and Low IR

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:55 am
Hi mqt001,

Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not consider an applicant's IR score as part of the application review process, so you likely have nothing to worry about in that regard. However, many Schools expect that applicants score at least a 4.0 on the AWA. With a 3.0, you likely went 'off topic' or didn't provide enough information to logically argue your point. I can't say for sure if this wouldl hurt all of your applications (or how much it would hurt), but since you're ultimately asking Admissions questions, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba- ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]