Legal Services

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

Legal Services

by charu_mahajan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm
At Legal Services, LLC last year, the average annual salary for attorneys was $75,000, while the average salary for paralegals was $50,000. The average annual salary for all Legal Services, LLC employees was $45,000.

If the information above is correct, which one of the following conclusions can properly be drawn on the basis of it?

A. There were twice as many attorneys at Legal Services, LLC as there were paralegals last year.
B. There were more paralegals than attorneys at Legal Services, LLC last year.
C. There were two attorneys and three paralegals at Legal Services, LLC last year.
D. There was at least one Legal Services, LLC employee who earned less than the average paralegal earned last year.
E. At least one paralegal made less than $50,000 last year.

Source: Another forum
Category: Draw the conclusion
Level: 600-700/ Medium Hard (IMO)
OA after discussion

What is important here is how we reach the conclusion. So let's discuss....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by charu_mahajan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm
I'm also presenting this diagrammatically for the convenience of the forum members.
Now let us try to draw the conclusion.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm
charu_mahajan wrote:At Legal Services, LLC last year, the average annual salary for attorneys was $75,000, while the average salary for paralegals was $50,000. The average annual salary for all Legal Services, LLC employees was $45,000.

If the information above is correct, which one of the following conclusions can properly be drawn on the basis of it?

A. There were twice as many attorneys at Legal Services, LLC as there were paralegals last year.
B. There were more paralegals than attorneys at Legal Services, LLC last year.
C. There were two attorneys and three paralegals at Legal Services, LLC last year.
D. There was at least one Legal Services, LLC employee who earned less than the average paralegal earned last year.
E. At least one paralegal made less than $50,000 last year.
The correct inference is WHAT MUST BE TRUE.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is NEGATED, the passage will be CONTRADICTED.

Answer choice D, negated:
NOT ONE Legal Services employee earned less than the average paralegal earned last year.
If NOT ONE employee earned less than $50,000, then it is not possible that the average salary for all the employees was $45,000, contradicting what is stated in the passage.
Since the negation of D contradicts the passage, D is WHAT MUST BE TRUE.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 am
Yes certainly the correct answer is D. no doubt.

Good Numbers and Percentages question.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.