Last week strategy ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Last week strategy ?

by archimittal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 am
Hello all, I have my GMAT scheduled for the 11th March. I have been preparing for the last three months and I think that I have sufficiently prepared for a 700+ score. However, the problem is that I feel that my mind has become absolutely clogged. My head seem to be full of everything related to GMAT and I feel pressurised to perform well as I really don't want to study for another 2 months for a second attempt. My heart starts thumping imagining what if I don't score well on the first attempt. I am really fed up of studying and don't know whether I will be able to prepare again with the same momentum.

Given the aforementioned frame of mind I am in , what should I do in the next 7 days. Should I take 2-3 CATs to stay in touch or should I just revise concepts.How much should I be studying in the last one week ? I mean the number of hours. I have taken an off from the office since the last week so that I can focus on the exam but seems like the pressure is killing me.

I know my questions sound a little stupid but I think the insights from the experts and members can probably help me approach the exam better.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 am
I actually just posted this post in another section but like it so much I'm posting it here too! https://www.beatthegmat.com/lessons-from ... tml#238364

I really like what he says about self-worth and giving yourself a break! Have you already taken the Official GMAT Preps? I'd assume so, since you say you're at the 700+ level. I would schedule your study sessions in 3 hour blocks max, and give yourself activities to do in between. Eat really healthy food and exercise every day. It sounds silly but it will improve your brain's functionality and lift a lot of the pressure. Don't skimp on sleep either!

A "circuit training" approach to your final days of prep would be my suggestion. Seeking out harder questions in your vulnerable areas on these boards, going over old questions you got wrong, and yes, maybe 2-3 CATs (but NEVER more than one day, and try not to take them on consecutive days). Use them to reinforce your strategy for each question type, and gain confidence in your pacing.

Good luck on your test!! :)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by archimittal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 pm
Thanks Vivian for the reply. I'll certainly keep the points you mentioned in mind. To maintain one's cool is very important ;otherwise no matter how well one is prepared, one can end up doing bad.