Kelley vs Olin($$) - need help deciding!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kelley vs Olin($$) - need help deciding!

by watchg41 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 am
Hi Everyone,

I have been admitted to Kelley with no financial aid and to Olin with a 40,000$ scholarship. I am an international student from India looking to pursue a career in Marketing (I already have some prior experience in Sales & Marketing). My 2nd choice after Marketing would be General Management. Definitely looking for a job in the US post MBA at least for a few years!

Really confused between the 2 as I have received mixed opinions from people so far regarding opportunities in Marketing at Olin. On one hand, I have been told that opportunities in Marketing for internationals at Olin are very few and it is better for Finance and General Management. On the other hand, I have heard that a lot of roles offered at Olin are broadly Marketing oriented whereas it is difficult to get into Gen Management roles at Olin.

Given my situation, which one is a better school to attend. Scholarship does matter to me but not more than a better shot at a good full time opportunity. Kindly suggest. Opinions/feedback/advice needed!

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 am
Both will give you opportunities and really the securing a job is something that is determined by you, not the school. I know you want the silver bullet answer, but really if you are looking for something specific look at the reports from the career services offices to see where people from those schools get jobs...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Apply Point » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm
Thank you for your message.

In the interest of full disclosure, I want to let you know that, before I started Apply Point Admissions Consulting (approximately 2 years ago), I served as the Associate Director of Admissions at Olin.

As a former staff member as well as graduate of Olin's MBA program, I can tell you the marketing opportunities for international students are amazing...and the career services staff is sensational. I would absolutely choose Olin, especially with a 40K scholarship. You won't regret it. I recommend choosing the Marketing Platform, after completing your core courses your first semester. I also recommend Chakravarthi Narasimhan, an amazing marketing professor at Olin, to get some additional perspective. I am happy to provide you with more specifics as well. Just let me know.
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net