Kaplan eval please!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan eval please!

by canuck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 pm
Hi Paxton/Kaplan team,

If you could take a few moments to have a look, it'd be much appreciated!

UGPA: U. Waterloo (repeatedly #1 by Macleans, Canada), 2005, Sociology major, Management Minor, 73%, about a 3.0 US conversion

Grad school: Cranfield SoM (#2 UK Business School after LBS, Financial Times, UK), 2008, Strategic Marketing, 2:1, about a 3.5 US conversion

Thanks in advance
Last edited by canuck on Sun May 03, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Sun May 03, 2009 12:29 pm
Hi and thanks for the interesting question.

It sounds like you a solid thought not, perhaps, a spectacular profile. My first impressions / thoughts are roughly as follows:

- If you went to Cranfield, why are you you planning to apply to a US business school? It sounds like you got a graduate degree rather than a certificate or something similar and I feel pretty comfortable saying that this will be at the top of an admissions committee's mind.

- The 700 GMAT is a great goal and would, I think, "tint" the rest of your application in a positive way.

- I like the Canadian and UK experience: it's good to have international.

Taking everything together, unless your work experience is stronger than it first appears (and it may very well be), my take is that shooting for those top programs may be a bit of a stretch. To make that stretch I would focus on:

- Getting top notch work experience (managing people; managing projects; being on the hook for bringing in revenue) between now and then;

- Getting a very good GMAT score;

- Developing a very compelling case for how business school can help you on your career path.

Please let me know how else I can help. You're in an interesting place as an applicant and I can probably give you a bit more thinking with a bit more data.

Cheers--

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html