Is hypothesis considered as premise or conclusion

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
For bold face questions - Is hypothesis considered as premise or conclusion ?
I think hypothesis is assumption (premise) - but I have seen in few places that its considered as conclusion in answers.
Please advise

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by crescendo85 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 am
Somebody plz advise

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:15 am
crescendo85 wrote:Somebody plz advise
The context is always important in boldface questions. Take a simple prediction, such as "I predict that Tim will achieve a 4.0 GPA next semester." I can't tell you without context if this is conclusion or evidence.

Example 1: Tim studies hard every night and works with a tutor. Therefore I predict that Tim will achieve a 4.0 GPA next semester. Here, the prediction looks like the conclusion of the argument.

Example 2: I predict that Tim will achieve a 4.0 GPA next semester, and if he does, he has a very good chance of being admitted to the grad school of his choice. Here the prediction seems to support the conclusion that Tim will be admitted to the grad school of his choice.

Rather than generalizing, you'll want to work to understand the mechanics of the individual argument you're dissecting. (And feel free to post examples you've struggled with.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:20 am
And see here for a good post about boldface questions: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/01 ... questions/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course