In the 1930s

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

In the 1930s

by atulmangal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm
Source Knewton-prep

In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export, bottling Syrah wines, a dark red wine with tastes of chocolate, hints of espresso, and traces of white grapes for additional flavor and variety and which earned the largest percentage of taxable income through wine exports proportional to its geographic size of any wine-producing region of the country.

(A) In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export, bottling

(B) The region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export in the 1930s, which bottled

(C) In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export and bottled

(D) The most profitable appellation producing red wines for export In the 1930s was the region of Crozes-Hermitage, bottling

(E) In the 1930s the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export was the region of Crozes-Hermitage, which bottled

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by g.shankaran » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 pm
IMO D?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by GMATToppers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm
atulmangal wrote:Source Knewton-prep

In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export, bottling Syrah wines, a dark red wine with tastes of chocolate, hints of espresso, and traces of white grapes for additional flavor and variety and which earned the largest percentage of taxable income through wine exports proportional to its geographic size of any wine-producing region of the country.

(A) In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export, bottling

(B) The region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export in the 1930s, which bottled

(C) In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export and bottled

(D) The most profitable appellation producing red wines for export In the 1930s was the region of Crozes-Hermitage, bottling

(E) In the 1930s the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export was the region of Crozes-Hermitage, which bottled

The problem with choices A, C and D is that there is no comma after the prepositional phrase "In the 1930s" and the Independent Clause.

The problem with B is that the relative pronoun which is referring to 1930s and the meaning of sentence becomes illogical.

Hence D is the answer

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 pm
IMO E
'which bottled' parallel to 'which earned' and 'which' refers to the region of Crozes-Hermitage.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

by g.shankaran » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:13 pm
Frankenstein wrote:IMO E
'which bottled' parallel to 'which earned' and 'which' refers to the region of Crozes-Hermitage.

Frankenstein,

I thought the which refers to Crozes-Hermitage rather that "the region of Crozes-Hermitage".

Whether the placement of "in the 1930's" wrong in D? or what is wrong with that answer choice

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 pm
I would have gone for A in the exam.

In the 1930s the region of Crozes-Hermitage was the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export, bottling Syrah wines, a dark red wine with tastes of chocolate, hints of espresso, and traces of white grapes for additional flavor and variety and which earned the largest percentage of taxable income through wine exports proportional to its geographic size of any wine-producing region of the country

But I was not able to check the limit of modifier/definition of Syrah wine. "And which earned" sounds dubious. Kindly help atul.
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:29 pm
atulmangal wrote:Source Knewton-prep

IMO E

....Crozes-Hermitage, which bottled..... and which earned the largest

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm
Now I got it ... Kudos to Frank..
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 pm
IMO E
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by itsmebharat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm
I would say tough one for me , took 2:37 sec.. huh.

IMO E

(E) In the 1930s the most profitable appellation producing red wines for export was the region of Crozes-Hermitage , which bottled
I am not an Expert, please feel free to suggest if there is an error.

Followed by:3 members

by champmag » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm
Reached E under a minute.

Tricky question.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm
g.shankaran wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:IMO E

Frankenstein,

I thought the which refers to Crozes-Hermitage rather that "the region of Crozes-Hermitage".

Whether the placement of "in the 1930's" wrong in D? or what is wrong with that answer choice
Hi,
I don't think the placement of 'in the 1930's' in D is incorrect. As I have mentioned earlier 'D' lacks parallelism.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 pm
OA is E guys, I was b/w A and E in exam but finally picked Op A in exam...my bad because of so much subtle error. The only error i find in Op A is the same as @Frankenstein mentioned,

the second WHICH "which earned" must refer to Crozes-Hermitage. In Op A thats not the case hence wrong.

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:12 am

the catch was the words in red above, its important to read the non underlined part of the sentence and look for parallelism indicators before scanning the answer choices vertically.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by subhashghosh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:03 am
+1 for E.