00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In numerous factories, automated equipment is replacing employees in order to save money. These employees will need government assistance to survive, and the same factories that fire employees will eventually pay for that assistance through a heavier tax burden and unemployment insurance fees.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the author's argument?

A) The profits of most factories that are not replacing employees with automated equipment are declining each year.
B) Automated equipment that is sophisticated enough to replace employees is very costly.
C) Most employees that have been replaced by automated equipment are unskilled workers and are thus often unable to find new jobs.
D) Government unemployment assistance is funded by many resources, and taxes and unemployment insurance fees account for less than 10% of these funds.
E) All factories are obligated to pay taxes and to give employees a month's notice before dismissal.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:31 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:In numerous factories, automated equipment is replacing employees in order to save money. These employees will need government assistance to survive, and the same factories that fire employees will eventually pay for that assistance through a heavier tax burden and unemployment insurance fees.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the author's argument?

A) The profits of most factories that are not replacing employees with automated equipment are declining each year.
B) Automated equipment that is sophisticated enough to replace employees is very costly.
C) Most employees that have been replaced by automated equipment are unskilled workers and are thus often unable to find new jobs.
D) Government unemployment assistance is funded by many resources, and taxes and unemployment insurance fees account for less than 10% of these funds.
E) All factories are obligated to pay taxes and to give employees a month's notice before dismissal.
Premise:
In numerous factories, automated equipment is replacing employees.
Conclusion:
Factories that fire employees will eventually pay...through a heavier tax burden and unemployment insurance fees.

C: Most employees that have been replaced by automated equipment are unskilled workers and are thus often unable to find new jobs.
Here, workers unable to find new jobs are likely to require government assistance and receive unemployment insurance, STRENGTHENING the conclusion that factories that fire employees will eventually pay...through a heavier tax burden and unemployment insurance fees.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3