Improving verbal in 2 weeks!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Improving verbal in 2 weeks!

by meeramurthy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 am
I am taking my GMAT on October 19 (2 weeks away). I have taken 3 practice exams so far:
MGMAT 1: Q48 V37
MGMAT 2: Q48 V42
GMAT Prep 1: Q48 V39

My first GMAT (actual test) was Dec 10 and I got Q48 V26 (610). I took a 6 month break and started preparing again this summer.

I am trying to make the most of the next 2 weeks and focus on the area where I can get the most bang for my time. I feel that it should be verbal because scoring higher in verbal will push me into the 700 barrier. The plan is to take a test every other day and practice/study the alternate days. Is this an overkill?

Also, the assessment report generated my MGMAT shows RC as my weakest area in verbal. I am getting a higher percentage of 600-700 level questions wrong in RC than SC or CR. My strongest among SC, CR and RC is SC, where the avg difficulty of right answer is 720 and avg difficulty of wrong answer is 750. Timing is not an issue.

Can I improve my RC and CR skills in 2 weeks? Especially RC? I have gone thru all OG 12 RCs. Unfortunately there are only few passages that are 700+ difficulty.

I have developed my own technique for both RC and CR problems (a combination of MGMAT and my own strategy). At this late in the game I am nervous to change my strategy.
So would just practicing improve my score? If so what are some recommendations for difficult RC and CR questions. I have the 10 LSAT practice exams but haven't used it yet. Should I use that?
Would purchasing RC99 help? I plan to work through the OG Verbal this week. But my fear is that there aren't enough difficult passages/questions in it.

For quant, my strategy is to continue what I am doing and taking more practice exams. I have the MGMAT advanced book which I haven't touched. I am thinking about browsing through but not really sure if it would be time spent wisely. I have a feeling pushing my Quant from 48-50 will be a challenge and not the most pay off. Is that right?

Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:28 pm
2 weeks cannot really change much. But it can strengthen your current levels.

One advice I wanna give you is not to put too much effort so close to the exam. You will run out of steam for the actual test. Just take a few prac tests and keep your stamina high for the test.

You can take some extra prac for RC. For eg, maybe RC99 can help. Your scores are good. Make sure you cna maintain them consistently. You will do awesomely well.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)