Immoral Actions

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Immoral Actions

by Dean Jones » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 am
Dear Friends,

I'm having problems in answering the following question. Please help.

Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they are performed in public, they offend public sensibilities.Second, they are accompanied by feelings of guilt. If all the statements above are true, then which one of the following must be false?

(A) Some immoral actions that are not performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(B) Immoral actions are wrong solely by virtue of being accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(C) Some actions that offend public sensibilities if they are performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(D) Some actions that are accompanied by feelings of guilt are not immoral, even if they frequently offend public sensibilities.
(E) Every action performed in public that is accompanied by feelings of guilt is immoral.

OA after some discussions.

Regards
Deano.

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:21 am
I shall go with A

Immoral Actions :- 1. Provoke PS
2. Accompany feeling of Guilt

Answer A negates premise in Stimulus.

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:01 pm
Dean Jones wrote: Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they are performed in public, they offend public sensibilities.Second, they are accompanied by feelings of guilt. If all the statements above are true, then which one of the following must be false?

(A) Some immoral actions that are not performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.

Answer is A because, the premise says All immoral actions are accompanied by feelings of guilt. whereas, statement A says 'Some immoral actions are not accompanied by feelings of guilt'
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

GMAT Score:710

by badpoem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 pm
IMO (D).

Reasoning is a bit lengthy. Can you confirm the OA pls?

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 am
Nope, I agree with A because this question ask us which choice is MUST BE FALSE. Choice A can be true. So, I eliminate choice A.

Choice E is my answer. It is too strong and too certain when mention "EVERY ACTIONS performed in public that is accompanied by feelings of guilt is immoral." IMO, maybe some actions is performed with feeling of guilt is not immoral, maybe neutral.

What's the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 am
IMO A.

1s - For all immortal actions - offend pub sens if performed in public,
2s - all immortal actions - accompanied by guilt

A.Some immortal actions - not performed in public (this is out of 1st statement) not accompanied by guilt (contradicts 2nd statement) - hence false

B.Out of scope
C.some actions - so they might be immortal actions and can be true.
D.some actions - same as above
E.Immortal actions are part of actions and for those to be immortal it should be performed in public accompanied by guilt - so can be true.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by Dean Jones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm
The OA is A. What is the problem with answer B. I picked it because there are two criterias for immoral action and the choice speaks of only one here. Can any one clear my doubt.

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 am
Second, they (immoral actions) are accompanied by feelings of guilt

(A) Some immoral actions (that are not performed in public) are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.

Thank all guys above, my second thought again, choice A is correct. I was disturbed by the relative modifier in the choice A.