I keep forgetting CR strategy - is this normal?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

I keep forgetting CR strategy - is this normal?

by nehs » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:22 am
For me to do reasonably well in CR,accuracy of 60-70%(i know this is low), I need to keep doing some 10-20 problems daily. Otherwise, I just forget the strategy and need to revisit the powescore CR book. This is the case with SC too sometimes(for 700+ level problems only)
Is this strange? does this mean that I'm actually weak in cR? My test is in 10 days, so not sure what I can do here.

Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 am
Nothing very unusual. Happens. Try this antidote : Catch hold of someone(even if he doesn't have anything to do with the GMAT) and explain him the strategy he should follow for each of the types of questions. Try to firstly give theory and then show how the theory can be applied in questions. As they say, the best way to remember something is not to learn but to teach something.

by nehs » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 am
Thanks rishi raj.
I feel so much better now . Will follow your approach. Going to get hold of my husband now :-)
I am really stressed cuz of this CR part. I'm reasonably good in SC an RC.
But get nervous with CR

Followed by:1 members

by bkw » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:15 am
nehs wrote:For me to do reasonably well in CR,accuracy of 60-70%(i know this is low), I need to keep doing some 10-20 problems daily. Otherwise, I just forget the strategy and need to revisit the powescore CR book. This is the case with SC too sometimes(for 700+ level problems only)
Is this strange? does this mean that I'm actually weak in cR? My test is in 10 days, so not sure what I can do here.
~70% accuracy in any part of the GMAT is not very bad. Anyway -- if you want to try to remember what is important in CR, try to think of the families that Bible discuss i.e prove(must be true, conclusion, ...) help (str, ass,...) hurt (wkn). These families or categories should hint you about how to approach each question type. Especially important is causal scenarios.
I have made good slides which describes this, and I try to review them daily. If you own the Bible, then maybe I can send the document to you.

good luck with the cr practice!

by nehs » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:31 am
bkw,thanks! Yes, i do on the powerscore bible and i need to read it everytme my accuracy goes low. i have made my own flashcards too that have the potential right and wrong answers for every question type. i need to review this almost daily.
i have just 8-9 days more to review and improve on this.

im going to read the book again once before my test.

does anyone know how hard or easy the CR questions r on the real gmat? are the concepts/potential wrong answers similar to OG 11/12?